[SOLVED] Fan speed of graphic card - Gigabyte 2060 super Windforce

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
The other day I had to visit Gigabyte service center since my card has a problem while gaming.

The technician there, tested it putting a small video file and said "It doesn’t matter whether you are running a game or a small video, fans run at full constant speed".

I thought fan speed changes as per temperature but he argued he knew too much.

Is this how gpu fans work running at constant speed? I forgot to see fan speed graph before, I'll observe it once my card comes back.
What do you think? Btw, this is a Gigabyte 2060 super "Windforce".

Solution
thats false for newer cards (My evga 1080 has a low curve on stock) older cards used to have constant curve but your 2060 should have a better curve, off when low and then starts around 45-50C
The other day I had to visit Gigabyte service center since my card has a problem while gaming.

The technician there, tested it putting a small video file and said "It doesn’t matter whether you are running a game or a small video, fans run at full constant speed".

I thought fan speed changes as per temperature but he argued he knew too much.

Is this how gpu fans work running at constant speed? I forgot to see fan speed graph before, I'll observe it once my card comes back.
What do you think? Btw, this is a Gigabyte 2060 super "Windforce".
Modern GPUs have 0 RPM/0 db fan function. That makes the fan spin when the temp of the GPU reaches a certain threshold. Most thresholds are around 60C mark. After that, the fans speed up to keep the card cool and the speed is depended on temperature, unless a custom fan curve has been made by the user. Higher temperature means higher speed. The GPU fans in no way should run at Full Speed all the time.

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I have a curve that changes the rpm of the fan as temp changes. The stock curve might be high and constant but there is software like XOC and afterburner that you can change it.

Yes, I do use Afterburner for that. But the technician said when using stock settings, fans run at full speed without dependant on temperature. That surprised me whether it's true.

winks42

Respectable
thats false for newer cards (My evga 1080 has a low curve on stock) older cards used to have constant curve but your 2060 should have a better curve, off when low and then starts around 45-50C

Solution

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Modern GPUs have 0 RPM/0 db fan function. That makes the fan spin when the temp of the GPU reaches a certain threshold. Most thresholds are around 60C mark. After that, the fans speed up to keep the card cool and the speed is depended on temperature, unless a custom fan curve has been made by the user. Higher temperature means higher speed. The GPU fans in no way should run at Full Speed all the time.

Yes, my card's fans run when the temps hit above 48C. So they constantly get on and off becz default usage temps are around 40-50C when not gaming. And now bcz of that feature fans are making scraping sounds. I'm using a custom fan curve. That somehow avoided the scraping for a while 😊.

But somehow that technician argued fans run at full speed always 😂

TRENDING THREADS