[SOLVED] Fan Speeds

Solution
Thanks for the details. The fan speeds seem OK to me, but I'll comment on two items to check. By the way, I assume that the rad fans for the AIO system are set up to push air from inside your case out through the rad (at the case top), so they act to exhaust air out of the case. Right?

The two rad fans are turning fairly fast for a no-load situation of simply idling. Now, that MAY link to how iCUE works. Unlike some AIO systems, iCUE will alter the speed of the pump according to the CPU temperature. It's a kind of setting-the-range system. It runs the pump more slowly at low temperatures, but at higher workloads and temperatures it speeds up the pump so the rad fans do not have to reach their full speed in order to keep up with the...
how are they connected? via a hub, directly to the motherboard, etc.
you need to list in detail ALL of your system specs and how the fans are arranged for any definitive cooling setup advice.

depending on how the fans are attached;
you can create a custom fan speed curve profile either through the motherboard BIOS,
the motherboard's control software,
or the fans manufacturer's own control software.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agreed, complete info would help. But I'll give a few preliminary thoughts from your photo.

Apparently you have a MSI Mag Z590 ... (something) mobo and are using a Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO liquid cooling system on the CPU. Assuming you have it connected as directed, the PUMP of that H100i system is running at full speed all the time as designed, and that means it is at 2297 RPM - perfectly normal. Then I suspect the first two FAN speeds around 1400 RPM are the two rad fans of that system, and those are reasonable speeds for a system at minimal workload. Then there are three fans around 900 RPM. and I suspect those are case ventilation fans running slowly for a cool system. Finally there is one at 1307 RPM, ad we can't know what that is. When you can give us more info, that may become clear. By the way, what generated that screen display? Is that the Corsair iCUE tool?

Apr 28, 2021
Hi so my specs are:

CPU: i7-11700k
GPU: EVGA RTX 3070
MOBO: MSI Z590 Tomahawk
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (8x2) 3600 mhz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Elite Capellix
PSU: Corsair RM750
Fans: 3x Corsair ml 120 pro in the front
Fan in the back of case: Not sure because it came with the case, but it is from corsair

The fans are connected via the corsair commander core rgb and pwm fan controller. This plugs directly into the mobo using I believe one of its usb slots on the bottom. The fans are arranged in this order: first two are part of aio, 3-5 are the ml 120, and 6 is the stock one on the back from corsair. Yes, I am using the Corsair iCUE software (which is honestly pretty trash).

Thank You

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the details. The fan speeds seem OK to me, but I'll comment on two items to check. By the way, I assume that the rad fans for the AIO system are set up to push air from inside your case out through the rad (at the case top), so they act to exhaust air out of the case. Right?

The two rad fans are turning fairly fast for a no-load situation of simply idling. Now, that MAY link to how iCUE works. Unlike some AIO systems, iCUE will alter the speed of the pump according to the CPU temperature. It's a kind of setting-the-range system. It runs the pump more slowly at low temperatures, but at higher workloads and temperatures it speeds up the pump so the rad fans do not have to reach their full speed in order to keep up with the heat demand. So look around in iCUE for details of how that PUMP speed is set. It MAY be set manually by you, or it may have its own automatic adjustment system.

The rear fan is turning faster that the front ones. I'm not sure why, but it certainly appears that is being managed by iCUE. MAYBE it is that way because the front fans are different models from the rear one (I bet rear has no lights, for one thing), and that rear one is designed to operate at higher speeds. It is likely that iCUE is simply sending to all four of those fans the SAME signals. But those signals are NOT to set each fan's speed. They are only set to ensure the right amount of heat removal via air flow, and the control system really does NOT care what the fan speeds are. So, given identical signals, fans of different design will normally operate at different speeds.

Solution