[SOLVED] Fan spins loudly, no display.

Jun 23, 2020
Hey I built a computer for the first time recently... And when I try to run it I have no display while the fan runs loudly, any idea what could be behind this? I've tried running it without ram and the CPU (And fan), with nothing changing.

popatim

Titan
That happens when the system can't boot up.

Please let us know your systems components with make and model#'s of the various parts. Please include the PSU as well.

Check your motherbd manual to see if there are any diagnostic leds and let us know which, if any, are lit up.

Off hand I'd say you either missed a power connection or you purchased a CPU that is not supported by your motherbd (may just need a bios update)

Jun 23, 2020
That happens when the system can't boot up.

Please let us know your systems components with make and model#'s of the various parts. Please include the PSU as well.

Check your motherbd manual to see if there are any diagnostic leds and let us know which, if any, are lit up.

Off hand I'd say you either missed a power connection or you purchased a CPU that is not supported by your motherbd (may just need a bios update)

My CPU should be good, I built this PC using a pre existing computer for reference and this CPU was off by a single version.

Anyways, my specs are:
CPU: E3-1225v2
Motherboard: Dell Optiplex 790 Micro ATX 0HY9JP
PSU: ANTEC TRUEPOWER POWER SUPPLY 550 WATT TP-550

Also I've yet to put my GPU in it as A. a safety precaution and B. an extra cable is needed for it I missed. (Thankfully my PSU is modular)

When your in the fan spinning state will hitting the reset button make it boot?
Yeah, I already tried to reset the bios.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
My CPU should be good, I built this PC using a pre existing computer for reference and this CPU was off by a single version.

Anyways, my specs are:
CPU: E3-1225v2
Motherboard: Dell Optiplex 790 Micro ATX 0HY9JP
PSU: ANTEC TRUEPOWER POWER SUPPLY 550 WATT TP-550

Also I've yet to put my GPU in it as A. a safety precaution and B. an extra cable is needed for it I missed. (Thankfully my PSU is modular)

Yeah, I already tried to reset the bios.
Someone on here once told me that usually indicates a PSU issue. You say it's built from pre existing parts, how old is the PSU?

Jun 23, 2020
Processor is IvyBridge
Motherbd supports only SandyBridge
Ah, that makes sense. What I was basing my build off of had a E3 1230, so presumed the 1225 v2 wouldn't be too far off... I probably should have assumed less.

Regardless though, shouldn't POST beep when the CPU is out of the motherboard at least?