Fan splitter concerns ...

Toilips

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Hello. The components I want to use are: M5A97 R2.0 MB, Corsair Spec-03 Case, SilentiumPC Fera 3 HE1224 and I want to add 2 Corsair SP120 fans with green LED.

- So the CPU cooler has 1 fan, The case comes with 2 white LED and 1 non LED fan and I want to add those 2 fans = 5 fans in total.
- The motherboard has 1 CPU fan and 3 fan connectors.
- Because the MB only has 3 fan connectors I would want to use 2 AKASA PWM FAN Splitters (https://www.amazon.com/Akasa-AK-CBFA04-15-Splitter-Cable-Fans/dp/B005FWXWPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467283564&sr=8-1&keywords=Akasa+AK-CBFA04-15+PWM+Fan+Splitter+Cable+for+2+Fans)
- The fan "setup" I want to use:
CPU fan connector (--- Cpu fan
1. fan connector (--- Non LED fan (Rear, exhaust)
2. fan connector (--- 1. fan splitter (--- 2 Green LED fans (Top, exhaust)
3. fan connector (--- 2. fan spliiter (--- 2 White LED fans (Front, intake)

- So. My questions are :
1. Will there be any risks of using fan splitters ? Like fan connectors burning out or something..
2. Will I be able to control all my fans using Speedfan ?

- Note: Using fan controllers like NZXT Sentry Mix 2 is not an option for me atm.
- The 2 fans I will be adding : http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp140-led-green-high-static-pressure-140mm-fan

Solution
If you put too many fans on a fan splitter, you will damage your motherboard. Not sure how many fans that motherboard will drive though.

You could run them direct off your PSU, and get a fan controller if you want to reduce all the noise.

Fortunately, you don't need all those fans.
Either have 2 fans sucking hot air out of the top of your case.
OR have 2 fans blowing cold air in the front.
You don't need both.... it is obvious.
Because if you JUST have 2 fans blowing cold air in the front, all the cold air your fans blow into your case will have to get out somewhere.
So the air will get hot passing the CPU and GPU, then flow out of the holes in the back and top of your PC
If you JUST put exhaust fans at the back and top, then as...

lodders

Admirable
If you put too many fans on a fan splitter, you will damage your motherboard. Not sure how many fans that motherboard will drive though.

You could run them direct off your PSU, and get a fan controller if you want to reduce all the noise.

Fortunately, you don't need all those fans.
Either have 2 fans sucking hot air out of the top of your case.
OR have 2 fans blowing cold air in the front.
You don't need both.... it is obvious.
Because if you JUST have 2 fans blowing cold air in the front, all the cold air your fans blow into your case will have to get out somewhere.
So the air will get hot passing the CPU and GPU, then flow out of the holes in the back and top of your PC
If you JUST put exhaust fans at the back and top, then as they suck out all the hot air, more cold air is drawn in through the holes in the front.
Both setups work equally well.

Solution