[SOLVED] Fan Splitter?

Solution
No, you don't want to use a "1 to 3" splitter. That's a bad idea. Yes, they sell them. They also sell other bad ideas, like Molex to 8 pin PCIe adapters, and those are very much NOT recommended as well.

What is your motherboard model?
No, you don't want to use a "1 to 3" splitter. That's a bad idea. Yes, they sell them. They also sell other bad ideas, like Molex to 8 pin PCIe adapters, and those are very much NOT recommended as well.

What is your motherboard model?

Solution
There is no danger using a fan splitter. I have built a lot of systems using fan splitter. Using a Molex to 8 pin is nowhere near close as this. We are talking about a header that gives max 1A. I'm using a fan splitter on my system for both the CPU fan in the CPU_FAN header.

What you need to know is how much Amp one of your fan needs. What is the fan you bought?

There is no danger using a fan splitter. I have built a lot of systems using fan splitter. Using a Molex to 8 pin is nowhere near close as this. We are talking about a header that gives max 1A.

What you need to know is how much Amp one of your fan needs. What is the fan you bought?
I didn't say there was a problem "using a fan splitter". I said it's a bad idea to use a "1 to 3" fan splitter, and it is. If you need to hear WHY, I can do that as well, in great detail, but suffice to say the short version is that using three fans on a single motherboard header cuts too closely to the maximum amperage rating of the header with no room for motor aging or spikes, or poor quality cables, or problem with the motor of any kind, that would not likely be a problem if only two fans were being used on one header because there WOULD be some reasonable amount of overhead between what those fans would pull and what most single headers can handle, to accommodate such issues.

Nov 1, 2020
There is no danger using a fan splitter. I have built a lot of systems using fan splitter. Using a Molex to 8 pin is nowhere near close as this. We are talking about a header that gives max 1A. I'm using a fan splitter on my system for both the CPU fan in the CPU_FAN header.

The case game with 3 CORSAIR - Air Series LED AF120, and I added 3 more of the same fan. I don't really care if the RGB is working or not.

I didn't say there was a problem "using a fan splitter". I said it's a bad idea to use a "1 to 3" fan splitter, and it is. If you need to hear WHY, I can do that as well, in great detail, but suffice to say the short version is that using three fans on a single motherboard header cuts too closely to the maximum amperage rating of the header with no room for motor aging or spikes, or poor quality cables, or problem with the motor of any kind, that would not likely be a problem if only two fans were being used on one header because there WOULD be some reasonable amount of overhead between what those fans would pull and what most single headers can handle, to accommodate such issues.

Not if the fan are 0.30A or 0.25A. The question should have been asked before you say it's a bad idea don't you think? His fans are .45A. So you were right. Can't put 3 on 1 header but I had to ask the question.

Your fan.
  • Power Draw (at +12V) .40 A, 1500RPM
Header max Amp ~ 1A.

You're more than fine to plug 2 fan on 1 header. Use 3 splitter 1 to 2 and you're fine.
The splitter cable they linked to was not a "1 to 2". It was a "1 to 3". Using three "1 to 2" splitter cables would be fine. They just need to be sure to configure the fan header in the BIOS for "DC" type operation, rather than what is probably the default "PWM" mode. If this board has an auto sensing configuration, then it can just be left on auto but I'd verify that for sure because even a lot of brand new boards don't feature auto sensing, especially at the mid to lower end of the scale.

The splitter cable they linked to was not a "1 to 2". It was a "1 to 3". Using three "1 to 2" splitter cables would be fine. They just need to be sure to configure the fan header in the BIOS for "DC" type operation, rather than what is probably the default "PWM" mode. If this board has an auto sensing configuration, then it can just be left on auto but I'd verify that for sure because even a lot of brand new boards don't feature auto sensing, especially at the mid to lower end of the scale.

I know the splitter is not a 2 to 1 but after asking what fan he had I wasn't gonna propose a 3 to 1.

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
Is there a reason to change to DC rather than PWM? my cpu cooler uses 2 fans that both hook up on one header via a splitter cable and ive set them to PWM in bios and havent had an issue