Fan Splitters Headers

timoetimoe

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
So recently i bought the corsair 460x then added an extra sp120 in the back to exhaust but i realized i only have 1 fan header on my motherboard ( gigabyte h110m-s2h ) i used a splitter to the psu but it is simply too loud running at max rpm i was wondering if i add a fan splitter (

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelid-Solutions-Case-Splitter-Cable/dp/B0067LWQ1C

Will any problems come along and can i change the rpm easily through bios?

thank you

Solution

I wouldn't use the single header for all 4 fans. 2 is good, maybe you'll get by with 3. And speed control will only work if 1) the fans are PWM or 2) the BIOS allows for DC mode voltage control with 3-wire fans.

You might also look into a fan controller if you have an available external drive bay.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Using a splitter for controlling the speed of two fans in BIOS is common practice. Most motherboards' fan headers can easily handle up to 1 amp @ 12V. That allows for 2 fans safely. And yes, your BIOS allows for speed control of the sys fans (pg. 23 in the manual). However, that is a 4-wire header using PWM to control the fan speed. Some BIOSs won't control 3-wire fans like the SP120 on a PWM header. What kind of fan is connected to the header now?

timoetimoe

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
I don't have any fans in it I have the 4 fans plugged into the psu with a splitter but it's too loud because of max rpm. I just wanna be able to change speeds of them.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I wouldn't use the single header for all 4 fans. 2 is good, maybe you'll get by with 3. And speed control will only work if 1) the fans are PWM or 2) the BIOS allows for DC mode voltage control with 3-wire fans.

You might also look into a fan controller if you have an available external drive bay.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS