Question Fan Splitters on Motherboard, too much amps?

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
I purchased 2 x Case Fan splitter, splits 1 to 5 Way. I wanna hook 1 into my CPU port and one to the CHASIS fan port on my motherboard. But I noticed someone in the reviews saying something about amps can fry my motherboard... like for example if the port on the motherboard only supports 100 amp and 5 fans using .25 amps, it would fry my board. He also said to bypass this problem, just use a molex power cord to power the fan splitter instead. Anyone know if this is true, and if using a Molex power connection would be safe? My motherboard is ASUS B75M-A and here is the fan splitter

Hi Chris_6.

How many fan do you have?

Your board has.

1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x Chassis Fan connector(s)

A fan header is 1amp max. So if you have 1 CPU fan and 1 case fan you don't have to use a splitter. If you have 2-3 case fan you can use that splitter for 2-3 of them on the chassis fan connector.

Knowing what kind of fan you use would help knowing how many you can put on 1 header.

Don't use the molex.

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Hi Chris_6.

How many fan do you have?

Your board has.

1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x Chassis Fan connector(s)

A fan header is 1amp max. So if you have 1 CPU fan and 1 case fan you don't have to use a splitter. If you have 2-3 case fan you can use that splitter for 2-3 of them on the chassis fan connector.

Knowing what kind of fan you use would help knowing how many you can put on 1 header.

Thanks for the reply.
I have 8 fans including my cpu
I wanna have it like this, 1 splitter:
1 in front, 1 on bottom, 2 on side
and the other splitter:
1 on back, 2 on top, 1 cpu
That is 7 - 120mm fans and 1 cpu fan i believe to be 80mm

So are you telling me that guy who said that was wrong?
And it is ok to split 1 fan connection to 4 fans?

Thanks for the reply.
I have 8 fans including my cpu
I wanna have it like this, 1 splitter:
1 in front, 1 on bottom, 2 on side
and the other splitter:
1 on back, 2 on top, 1 cpu

So are you telling me that guy who said that was wrong?
And it is ok to split 1 fan connection to 4 fans?

I never said the person was wrong. I just try to avoid using molex when I can. If we want to know how many fan you can put on that splitter we have to know what are the fan you have. You will probably have to use the molex anyway. Do the fan have a molex connector?

Don't forget that all the fan connected in the same splitter will be seen as 1 fan in the BIOS and controlled as such.

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
I never said the person was wrong. I just try to avoid using molex when I can. If we want to know how many fan you can put on that splitter we have to know what are the fan you have. You will probably have to use the molex anyway. Do the fan have a molex connector?

Don't forget that all the fan connected in the same splitter will be seen as 1 fan in the BIOS and controlled as such.

7 are 120mm LED, all have both Molex and 3 pin fan connector:
  • Rated voltage: 12V
  • Current: 0.12A
  • Input power: 1.44W
I wanted to use my fan splitters, but Nemesia has me slightly worried, I honestly don't know what to do.
What CAN i do while staying in the safe zone.
I want to connect fans to Molex (4-pin power) like a continuous chain, right into one another. Is that ok?

Last edited:

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
ok my final word after looking around the internet a bit is,
i am just gonna leave the CPU Fan in the CPU Header,
use the Chassis Fan Header for a 2nd CPU Fan i am adding to the other side of my CPU cooler,
and i think i will just use a single Molex chain for the other 6 (most of which are for show lol)

Chris_6

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
I made a post similar to this, so I am posting my solution to my problem here too:

I just bought a fan controller for 6 molex fans :)
Check it out if u like:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003XVMRRW/
if that link doesn't work (it is .ca not .com) you can see the picture here:

61mw-R0XEUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i will use the CPU port and Chassis Port on my motherboard for 2 CPU fans
and have 6 additional case fans running :D
Thank you everyone for your help!