Fan to cool HD, on top or bottom blowwing up ?

Just got a nice new 160 gig 7200 SATA drive and i want it to last, so
iam going to mount a 120mm fan to cool it, its just going to be
running at 7 volts, so should not cause much noise.

Even at 7 volts should be pusing somthing liek 40cfm or more over the
drive so that should be MORE than enough to cool it.

But just wondering as the electonics are on the bottom should the fan
be underneath blowing up or on the top blowng down, or does it not
matter, as long as their is air running over it ?

Thanks for any info.

Bye.

jad

would depend where the fresh air source is located.

"Little TeaPot" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Just got a nice new 160 gig 7200 SATA drive and i want it to last, so
> iam going to mount a 120mm fan to cool it, its just going to be
> running at 7 volts, so should not cause much noise.
>
> Even at 7 volts should be pusing somthing liek 40cfm or more over the
> drive so that should be MORE than enough to cool it.
>
> But just wondering as the electonics are on the bottom should the fan
> be underneath blowing up or on the top blowng down, or does it not
> matter, as long as their is air running over it ?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Bye.

Ive got a bottom 120mm fan.

And a side 120mm fan for the cpu and a top 120mm fan blowing out, on
the top of the case :)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:20:35 -0700, "JAD"
<hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote:

>would depend where the fresh air source is located.
>

>"Little TeaPot" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>

>> Just got a nice new 160 gig 7200 SATA drive and i want it to last, so
>> iam going to mount a 120mm fan to cool it, its just going to be
>> running at 7 volts, so should not cause much noise.
>>
>> Even at 7 volts should be pusing somthing liek 40cfm or more over the
>> drive so that should be MORE than enough to cool it.
>>
>> But just wondering as the electonics are on the bottom should the fan
>> be underneath blowing up or on the top blowng down, or does it not
>> matter, as long as their is air running over it ?
>>
>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> Bye.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:37:29 +1000, Little TeaPot
<Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Just got a nice new 160 gig 7200 SATA drive and i want it to last, so
>iam going to mount a 120mm fan to cool it, its just going to be
>running at 7 volts, so should not cause much noise.
>
>Even at 7 volts should be pusing somthing liek 40cfm or more over the
>drive so that should be MORE than enough to cool it.
>
>But just wondering as the electonics are on the bottom should the fan
>be underneath blowing up or on the top blowng down, or does it not
>matter, as long as their is air running over it ?
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Bye.

I think front to back works best ;)

I agree. I have three HD's in one bay module with a dedicated fan blowing
front to rear, and they are all cool to the touch, running 31-36°C in a
27°C room.

<louie_louie> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:37:29 +1000, Little TeaPot
> <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Just got a nice new 160 gig 7200 SATA drive and i want it to last, so
>>iam going to mount a 120mm fan to cool it, its just going to be
>>running at 7 volts, so should not cause much noise.
>>
>>Even at 7 volts should be pusing somthing liek 40cfm or more over the
>>drive so that should be MORE than enough to cool it.
>>
>>But just wondering as the electonics are on the bottom should the fan
>>be underneath blowing up or on the top blowng down, or does it not
>>matter, as long as their is air running over it ?
>>
>>Thanks for any info.
>>
>>Bye.
>

> I think front to back works best ;)

> I agree. I have three HD's in one bay module with a dedicated fan blowing
> front to rear, and they are all cool to the touch, running 31-36°C in a
> 27°C room.

I had an interesting experience with my current case. I have a case that
fits 4 internal 3.5" drives and a 120mm fan mount in front of them. The fan
actually spans the bottom 3 drive slots and I originally had my only HDD in
the top slot because I thought I'd get overall better case flow. Well the
drive was getting noticeably warm, even uncomfortably warm. There was good
air flow but I guess it "missed" the drive for the most part. I moved it
down only one slot so the air passes directly over it on both sides, and now
it stays very cool.