[SOLVED] Fan Turning Off on GPU

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
My computer had been making a noise for a while and a couple nights ago I decided to open it to see if I could figure out the issue. While looking around, I noticed one of the fans on my GPU was off and not spinning while the other seemed to be working extra hard because of it (the reason for the noise). While my PC was on, I pressed down on the center of the fan where the logo is and all of a sudden, it starts spinning and the other fan slows down to match it's pace and the noise is gone. Thinking I fixed the issue, I went on with my day and shut off my PC at night like I usually do. Come morning, the noise is back and sure enough, one of the fans is off(the same fan). It's not too much of a hassle but I'd rather not take my side panel off everytime I don't want to hear an obnoxious noise. Please help!

Update: Found a video that shows exactly what's happening to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1YLC3CxMx0

Solution
It appears you have a defective fan motor or controller. If it's the fan, you can replace it. The controller, not so much.
Are you sure the fan blade isn't just hitting the shroud somewhere and sticking until you force it by pushing on it?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It appears you have a defective fan motor or controller. If it's the fan, you can replace it. The controller, not so much.
Are you sure the fan blade isn't just hitting the shroud somewhere and sticking until you force it by pushing on it?

Solution