Question Fan Upgrade Selection and Configs for Antec DP503 Case

Mar 25, 2023
Hi,
I have built a new computer mostly for programming, deep learning, and graphic designing. I am rarely going to game on this machine.
The Specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7900X
RAM: ADATA XPG Caster DDR5 RGB 6000MHz 16GB x 2
AIO: ADATA XPG Levente 360 Radiator (XPG Hurricane 120mm RGB fans)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 TUF OC
MOBO: MSI Pro Series X670-P Wifi
PSU: Antec HCG Extreme (1000W Gold)
Case: Antec DP503
Storage: 2 x 1TB M2 NVMe + 2 x 4TB 5.4K HDD

CPU: A PBO of -25 is applied and Thermal limit is set to 85C. (Single-core: 5.5GHz | Multi-core: 5.3GHz)
GPU: Undervolted to 0.9V while maintaining the same stock clocks.

In the meantime, the fans installed are as follows:
Intake (Front): 3x 120mm Antec RGB case fans (came with DP503). I have no specs for them and no PWM.
Exhaust AIO (Top): 3x 120mm XPG Hurricane 120mm RGB on the AIO (Push Config) (61.5 CFM / 1.42 mm H2O)
Exhaust (Rear): 1x 120mm Cooler Master MF120 Prismatic. (55 CFM / 2.91 mm H2O)
Shroud: 2x 120mm Cooler Master MF120 Prismatic. (55 CFM / 2.91 mm H2O)

I have recorded the temperature and the fan RPMs while stressing the CPU/GPU using different tools:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l2R5TYU5MvvbCR5nv7oDUUVM0NaB57uQY5ELiMKHo0k/edit?usp=sharing
I am thinking about different fan configurations at the moment, which involves purchasing new fans:

1st-A Config: ($155)
  • Replace 3x 120mm intake fans with 3 x 140mm Corsair iCUE ML140 Elite RGB Fans (82.9 CFM / 2.06 mm H2O) x 3 Push
1st-B Config: (Cheapest Option) ($60)
  • Replace 3x 120mm intake fans with 3 x 140mm Arctic P14 RGB Fans (68.9 CFM / 2.00 mm H2O) x 3 Push
2nd Config: (Noisy MF120 fans on high RPMs with restrictive air flow) ($190)
  • Radiator at top in Push/Pull Config with iCUE ML120 Elite RGB Fans (Push) + Cooler Master MF120 Prismatic (Pull) = (65.57 CFM / 2.68 mm H2O) x 3 Push + (55 CFM / 2.91 mm H2O) x 3 Pull
  • 3 x Arctic P14 as Intake Fans in the front = (68.9 CFM / 2.00 mm H2O) x 3 Push
  • Move the XPG Hurricane Fans in place of the MF120 fans
3rd Config: ($180) (Not Optimal for GPU / VRM Cooling??)
  • Move the radiator to front with the XPG Hurricane 120 fans (Push) + Arctic P12 Slim (Pull) = (61.5 CFM / 1.42 mm H2O) x 3 Push + (42 CFM / 1.45 mm H2O) x 3 Pull
  • The reason for the slim is the clearance from the GPU end to the front chassis bar is 51mm. So Radiator + Slim fans = 27 + 15 = 42mm (8mm clearance)
  • The reason for the pull fans, is to provide some intake air to the inside, as the front is the only place for the intake. The rear fan can be switched to intake as well, but kinda useless for the air circulation.
  • 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 iCUE Elite RGB Fans as exhausts at the top = (58.10 CFM / 2.90 mm H2O) x 3 Pull
Note: The iCUE fans may be changed with Arctic P fans if they become unavailable. Additionally, I am avoiding NZXT fans due the restriction of controlling RGB through their only CAM hub. I want all of the fans RGB to be controlled simultaneously through the RGB sockets available on the Mobo.

I would like to know your opinions about these different configs or if you have any suggestions/recommendations regarding other fans and the cost vs performance value as well.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Redditors? Was this copy-pasted from there?

I am thinking about different fan configurations at the moment, which involves purchasing new fans:
Personal fan curves, different degrees of air resistance in the areas fans are installed, and fan specs... trying to figure all that out is a science project in itself; buy and test all configs to discover the answer, because no one will be able to give a concrete one off the top of their heads.

I would like to know your opinions about these different configs or if you have any suggestions/recommendations regarding other fans and the cost vs performance value as well.
It(thermals) is not broken with the current config, so there's nothing to fix. Enjoy the system.

Reactions: Yamadron and Lafong
Mar 25, 2023
Redditors? Was this copy-pasted from there?

Hi Phaaze, Yes. My apologies, I copied and pasted my post without editing it. 😅
Edited now.

Personal fan curves, different degrees of air resistance in the areas fans are installed, and fan specs... trying to figure all that out is a science project in itself; buy and test all configs to discover the answer, because no one will be able to give a concrete one off the top of their heads.

I understand, I was hoping for a discussion of what may work or what may not, especially if any of the configs are going to cause any harm or break the thermals.

It(thermals) is not broken with the current config, so there's nothing to fix. Enjoy the system.
Yes, the thermals are not broken. I am just hoping for better thermals using better fans, especially, I feel the choice of the fans with the current AIO is not good enough.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the thermals are not broken. I am just hoping for better thermals using better fans, especially, I feel the choice of the fans with the current AIO is not good enough.
This requires - can require, ~so much testing... sorry, it really isn't that simple. There are some clear-cut examples out there, such as someone swapping rad fans with Corsair QL series: those fans are all bling, no bite, and shouldn't be anywhere near a rad.