[SOLVED] Fan working but no light. Deepcool RF120m + MSI B550 Gaming Edge

tangosmango

Honorable
May 16, 2015
I've setup the fans with my new mobo and they work but don't have the lights working.

I setup exactly how I setup on my mobo which was working with Asus Aura just last night. I have them as the manual describes, in daisy duke fashion with the last heading into the 12V header.

Fans work but no light. What am I doing incorrectly?

Solution
Regarding the LIGHTS cables ONLY on those fans, I can see that all the connectors on the fans, their manual control box, and the cable out from that are made so you can connect them only one way. That still leaves the one connection of that adapter cable to the male mobo header with 4 pins that MUST be connected the right way. Look very closely at the cable end with 4 holes for the special mark on it on one end for the 12 VDC line. Then also look closely at the markings on the mobo header for which pin is 12 V. Make sure you get them matched.

Lutfij above made a good point. You have an MSI mobo. You MUST use the MSI utility called Mystic Light to set up the mobo header for your lights. You cannot do it with some utility from a...

Lutfij

Titan
How did you get Asus's Aura app to work on an MSI motherboard? You should be working with MSI's MysticLighting app to deal with your rainbows in the chassis. Speaking of which, mind sharing an image of how you connected the components to your motherboard? Did you take note of the arrow(polarity) of the connector? You sure it's not an Asus motherboard?

tangosmango

Honorable
May 16, 2015
How did you get Asus's Aura app to work on an MSI motherboard? You should be working with MSI's MysticLighting app to deal with your rainbows in the chassis. Speaking of which, mind sharing an image of how you connected the components to your motherboard? Did you take note of the arrow(polarity) of the connector? You sure it's not an Asus motherboard?

My previous board was an Asus. I'll try to take a picture but there's so many wires, it may be difficult.

I did not take note of the polarity. Where is this arrow exactly?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The female connector (with holes) in the end of the lighting cable from the fans has a mark (often an arrow or triangle) on one end to show the 12 VDC line. This MUST be matched to the mobo header pin that is marked for 12 VDC. If you have extension cables or lighting Hubs in your system, you MUST match these up at EVERY connection.

tangosmango

Honorable
May 16, 2015
The female connector (with holes) in the end of the lighting cable from the fans has a mark (often an arrow or triangle) on one end to show the 12 VDC line. This MUST be matched to the mobo header pin that is marked for 12 VDC. If you have extension cables or lighting Hubs in your system, you MUST match these up at EVERY connection.

I was looking at an installation guide and found this:
View: https://youtu.be/MFAfpNQ3CdY?t=357

This is exactly how I did it. One connection from each fan went to that central hub which is for the power of the fans. I did this for all the other fans including my radiator fans (x2). Then I daisy chained like he did and how it says to do it in the manual. There was no note of any arrow or triangle or any specific way to daisy chain them either by this guy or the manual.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Regarding the LIGHTS cables ONLY on those fans, I can see that all the connectors on the fans, their manual control box, and the cable out from that are made so you can connect them only one way. That still leaves the one connection of that adapter cable to the male mobo header with 4 pins that MUST be connected the right way. Look very closely at the cable end with 4 holes for the special mark on it on one end for the 12 VDC line. Then also look closely at the markings on the mobo header for which pin is 12 V. Make sure you get them matched.

Lutfij above made a good point. You have an MSI mobo. You MUST use the MSI utility called Mystic Light to set up the mobo header for your lights. You cannot do it with some utility from a different mobo manufacturer.

I could not examine that video closely, so I have a question about the little in-line manual controller box that feeds the fan lights. Does it also have a cable to plug into a SATA power output from the PSU? If so, did you connect that?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS