Fancy on board sound card and USB headset

DrDinger

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Hi,

I have a gigabyte z97x gaming 5 mobo which advertises a whole bunch of sound hardware like special capacitors, Realtek acl1150 codec, amp up audio technology, etc.

Does all my systems audio go through these perky features or is it only if I'm using the back panel jacks?
Do I need to use the rear panel ports to make use of these benefits? Are the front panel jacks also benefitting from it? And if I use a USB audio jack?

Thanks!

Dinger

Solution
The rear and front would be run through the ACL1150 but any USB audio will not as most USB audio headsets have their own DAC to handle audio. Depending on which USB headset you get you might even have something pretty damn good.

I personally use a Sound Blaster Z with 3.5mm headphones.
The rear and front would be run through the ACL1150 but any USB audio will not as most USB audio headsets have their own DAC to handle audio. Depending on which USB headset you get you might even have something pretty damn good.

I personally use a Sound Blaster Z with 3.5mm headphones.

Solution

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
100% agree w/ jimmy.

As a side note, if you are only gaming, the onboard sound will do for sure. However, if multimedia (music, vids, movies, etc) are also going to be played on this system regularly, I'd definitely recommend an upgrade to a dedicated sound card /DAC at some point for sure. You'll be glad that you did.