FANLESS cpu water cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
I've built an almost totally silent HTPC. I'm using AMD A6-3650 APU to avoid using a noisy graphic card and i already have a fanless power supply.

My problem is that the CPU fan makes a lot of noise. Not cool when watching a movie.

So i am looking for a TOTALLY SILENT fanless water cooling system. I would like to avoid the HUGE external heatsinks

Any recommendation ? I don't have a budget, looking for quality.

Thanks !

Lutfij

Titan
silence means alot of things to alot of people, some can even hear the tick of a motor in a fan.

TOTALLY SILENT
watercooling isn't really a solution to noise, honestly there's a hobbyists aspect as well as an enthusiasts aspect rolled into this venture.

How do I know if I need watercooling or air cooler upgrade?
-or-
My temps seem to be hot on my CPU and/or GPU!!...I need a new cooler!

Not so fast. I’m not trying to discourage anyone from going out and contributing to the economy by spending their money on a new cooler or full-fledged watercooling loop. However, here is a simple way to test whether or not your cooler needs updating or if you simply have poor case airflow, in which a cooler upgrade would still have little effect (watercooling loop would still provide improvement, but still dependent upon ambient temps and radiator placement/airflow).

Remove the side panel of your case. Take a house or desk fan- turn on HIGH and blow air into your case. Run your benchmarks, game, Fold, encode video, etc…see what your temps are. Compare with the temps you get with your case side on, and no fan. If the temps drop 5C or more, you have a case airflow issue inside your case that should be addressed before ever replacing an air cooler with another air cooler. Watercooling might help, but depending on your desired temp ranges and budget, updating/adding fans might be the only thing you need to improve to get temps where you want them. If your temps remain the same or within 1-3C, you might have a minor airflow issue (or ambient temps are different than when you ran your baseline test without the fan). If you still are unhappy with your temps, this is when considering a cooling upgrade is a good decision.
available with much more info in the WC'ing sticky(in my sig)

have you taken the time to read the sticky? The watercooling section is unique in the sense that , the parts chosen are meant for you and you alone, unlike the rest of the sections where people just prescribe a part for the masses. I say this since you'll be the one maintaining the loop and looking after it - gradually upgrading it should you need to. Couple of read through's and a better understanding will get you a long way.

you might want to look at the Thermalright HR02 for that cpu.

Huge external heatsinks - you mean the Mo-Ra3 rad?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can't really run passive watercooling without a lot of surface area, so that isn't likely the best solution. For most people, watercooling and using low RPM fans on radiators are the best bet for going quiet. Under 1000 rpm fans on a radiator are very quiet, but you seem to want something more silent than this which might be more difficult than you think, depending on CPU fan that is used.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

water cooling can be costly about 2000 to 3000 for every thing but combined with noise board glued to the inside of your case the noise will be below 3dB and i dont know of any thing quiter low rpm fans are a must on the raidator and do not buy cheep water blocks swifttech, bitzpower, or jist go to frozencpu.com and check out the product line its not that hard to see quality parts but always review any water cooling compont before buying

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Much of this information is incorrect-

water cooling can be costly about 2000 to 3000 for every thing

Most watercooling loops are laround $600 for a good, CPU and dual GPU loop...can be less, can be more. If you are spending over $1000 (let alone $2000-$3000) you know what you are doing, and you are building something beyond the use of 99% of any user in the watercooling community.

noise will be below 3dB

3db isn't really possible as even a room that is silent still records 10db or so. The sound of a monitor simply being on would be more than 3db.

low rpm fans are a must on the raidator

This depends on what radiator you have chosen, fans used and performance you are looking for. High FPI radiators perform better with faster fans.

do not buy cheep water blocks swifttech, bitzpower

I'm not sure if you are meaning Swiftech and Bitspower are poor-quality brands or these would be brands to choose?

or jist go to frozencpu.com and check out the product line its not that hard to see quality parts but always review any water cooling compont before buying

FrozenCPU is one of the more expensive online retailers, but they do have a large selection of components and parts. This being said, they have some of the very best gear you can buy...as well as some that you would want to avoid. So, simply looking at what looks nice and buying that, it's better to do a lot of research first and narrow down your choices.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks for reply guys.

I don't really need something expensive since all i need is CPU cooling. Everything else in my HTPC is passive cooling. My CPU max 60 degress while gaming MW3 and idles UNDER 20 degrees. So i really don't need strong cooling power.

I just want something to replace my fan, WITHOUT NOISE. I'm not even expecting better temperature.

Reserator 1 V1 looks cool except it is WAAAYY too huge. And also, like i said, i only need CPU cooling so i don't care about VGA and the other stuff.

Oh yeah, i also want something that doesn't need maintenance. I don't want to replace liquid or stuff like that.

Been looking at the corsair H70, looks simple and effective but it uses a 120mm fan. If i can't find a fanless solution i may just go with the corsair H70 and use it with a silent Nocturia fan.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Based on this info, you probably just want a large air cooler with a low RPM fan. You don't want a Reserator, they're junk and run mixed metals. Also, most watercooling would require maintenance at least yearly, and even a closed loop cooler is going to need to run lower speed fans or on a lowest profile setting to stay under your noise levels.

I think that based on this criteria, this would be your best bet...I just don't see a liquid cooler or watercooling solution that meets what you are looking for as everything else either would be too noisy or require maintenance.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

hay i have been there I started with jist CPU cooling and the start up for that is around 600 the problem is that the rest of your system is air cooling with requires air flow through the case you can't seal the case if it is air cooled like using cork board or noise board it took me 4 years to bild up to the system i have now
AMD FX-60 clocked to 3 GHz
4 rapters 36.4 raid array for performance
AGP PRO 6800 GT clocked to 700 MHz
ASUS A8V deluxe pro motherboard
OCZ 400 MHz memory clocked to 500 MHz
all water cooled still runs top end games today
and in most cases faster than any stock computer pulled off the self today EX: best buy computers, true a alienwear 2012 area 51 is faster but not by much
its not about what you have but the quility of the parts and how you put them together i do not know what scale that other guy was using to gage dB but i am only refering to 300 Hz to 2000 Hz frenk not to mintion that dB itself is a log function ment to be a figure of merit.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I disagree with your hardware listed above being capable compared to any modern hardware. I had a P4 and 6800GT- that was 7 years ago; this hardware wouldn't run modern games today.

its not about what you have but the quility of the parts and how you put them together i do not know what scale that other guy was using to gage dB but i am only refering to 300 Hz to 2000 Hz frenk not to mintion that dB itself is a log function ment to be a figure of merit.

This being said, am I the 'other guy' you are referring to?

Please be a bit less misleading when suggesting components that are incorrectly suggested in the multiples of thousands of dollar range. There is a high percentage of inaccuracy being suggested here, so please use more discretion when suggesting cost and products to users who have no other background or knowledge on a subject.

I am just going to add that i think the biggest heatsink with a slow fan is also best for media duties. As long as you have the space for it.

The H70 heatsink needs a good enough fan(decent static pressure) to get air past the rad(fins close together). An air cooler with wider spaced fins needs less static pressure.

Have you considered something like the NH D14(or some of the other dual tower heat sinks). It is huge and with the fans on low, should be quite quiet for you.

EDIT.

Are on on the stock cooler for your APU?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

They're going to produce similar levels of noise, cool about the same, but the air cooler is going to cost about half as much.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that you want to get a really good, really quiet air cooler. Totally fanless isn't going to be doable without a lot of work, but a silent 120mm fan on low is a lot quieter than you'd expect. If you can get creative with putting crap in front of it to muffle the noise even more (like a glass door on an entertainment center), then it's going to be damn close to inaudible.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Corsair H-series coolers perform about as well as most good air coolers. Corsair coolers also use higher RPM fans which would be louder for the higher FPI radiator instead of a lower RPM fan for a lower restriction, large air cooler.
yes i already noticed that, that's why i was thinking about the H70 model because it doesn't come with a fan, so i can select one myself.

I was thinking about using Corsair H70 with a noctura fan (unless you have something more silent to recommend me). I have been using a 120mm Noctura fan in my bedroom and it's almost silent.

If i'm forced to use a 120mm fan, i'd rather use it with the Corsair H70 + 120mm Noctura so i could hook the fan on the side of my case, which would create a better airflow for the rest of my computer.. Theorically it should be as quiet as if i go with a air-fan solution, i think ?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I still think the H70 is going to be louder overall than your choice of an air cooler or even your original CPU cooler. If silence truly is your goal, a Hyper 212+ is very quiet- I just installed one on my brother's CPU a few weeks ago and it's very quiet and works very well. $30. With the H70, you have the fan and the pump to contend with...and there are some who complain the pump emits a constant buzzing noise.

Lutfij

Titan
Theorically it should be as quiet as if i go with a air-fan solution
but will cost you more than you would on a better performing air cooler.

i'd rather use it with the Corsair H70 + 120mm Noctura
you seem to be hell bent on getting a corsair, it also seems you've made your mind up and want us to say what you want to hear :p

that's why i was thinking about the H70 model because it doesn't come with a fan, so i can select one myself.
if you understood that then you'll also understand that the rad needs to be fed with cooler air, in order to do this the teeth(fins) are spaced rather tightly. So pushing in air will mean faster/higher static pressured fans than a standard case fan. Don't go for the Noctua fans, they are advertised as silent fans, but they aren't radiator fans - not worth buying for that use but as a case fan.

I can say this confidently since i use a H50(the H70's younger bro) with a pair of NF P-12 fans, totally silent but bad for temps.

FYI - silent+heat don't play nice with each other. If you have a boat load of money to throw away, take a look at the Aquacomputer external rad, it'd still need a cpu block, tubing and pump+distilled water to run and maintain.

2nd FYI - all that'll be overkill on a measly APU.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
No no, i didn't made up my mind yet, i was just explaining what i think because i wanted to see if i was wrong. And reading what you guys have wrote, i think i will not buy the Corsair H70.

Ok so you convinced me, i will go with a standard air fan. From what i have read, it would be better to get a 120mm because it can spin slower and produce the same airflow than a 80mm fan

There's not a lot of 120mm cpu fan certified to work with Socket FM1 but i found this one :
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2

Do you think it would fit on my Gigabyte A75M-D2H motherboard or do you have a better suggestion ?

The 212(hard to beat for the price.) should fit fine as long as you do not have tall memory. If you do, the fan may need to be slid up a bit.

Personally, i find the 212+ can be loud(at higher speeds), but an APU system should NOT have issues(its not as hot as a 1366 I7 and everyone has a different level of noise they will put up with. If you are on the stock cooler, i feel your pain if it is anything like the PII X4 coolers). Worst case, get your fan of choice later.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Yes currently i am on the stock CPU fan by AMD. I've bought and heard dozens and i can seriously tell that this is the noisiest cpu i ever heard in my life beside 5-years-old cpu fans full of dust, LOL. When cpu idle at 15° it's fine but as soon as i start using the CPU a bit the cpu temp can jump to 40°-50° so the fan makes a lot of noise.

my memory is G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
not sure if it is too tall...

Personally, i find the 212+ can be loud(at higher speeds)
Do you have a more silent recommendation ? I'd rather pay more if i can get something more silent !

The 212+ is all i could find that was certified to use with Socket FM1. But i'm pretty sure there is other 120mm fans that are compatible with this socket, it's just not listed. For example the corsair H70 was working with Socket FM1 but it just wasn't listed on newegg.ca

Lutfij

Titan
or take a look at the thermalright HR02 passive heatsink fan. you can add a silent low rpm fan later if you want but with that APU and its TDP, you've got a good headroom :) and it wont have an issue with ram's with tall heatsinks.

@ OP - i didn't mean to startle you into giving up the watercooling project, but when you want a no hassle/maintenance free setup without the noise issue...just get fanless :) :lol:

if you're swaying to move for an air cooler, we can change thread section.

AMD's cpu solution were always noisy, before intel.

http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=95&cat_id=27

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhrcpucofor.html
http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-am2-bracket-rev2.html

mobo compatability list - http://www.thermalright.com/layout/system/file.php?code=90d0b2adP4yBjY%2FeJDsprc%2F71ypn4vuPDH7128aCsCpkuEtvcb3akRjhHjEuS777kVBTWae4aiB96TeULK4Pck7346c4gWTH8WQ7%2B30CRbuMy%2FbhzUr4ujtHt0L2xfLMtxzpebVcvQ88nDexVg - shows your mob and you'll loose out on the first PCI-E slot for GPU.

socket, FM1 is based on the AM2/AM3 mounting mechanism, so your ensured it'll work.

I am almost sure FM1 and AM3 coolers are the same(from a mounting standpoint). EDIT...confirmed by Lutfij.

It is hard to recommend very expensive coolers since for most users to 212 is more then enough.

Think of it this way.

I picked up a 9500AT from Zalman for it's quietness, it was NOT quiet at even half speed. Picked up an arctic cooling Freezer 7, it was not much better, but it was much cheaper and ran just as cool on my system.

Sometimes you pay 2-3x the price for just a 2-3 c drop.

The NH D14 is highly rated, but expensive and may be extreme overkill for your system.

My current cooler is a Zalman CNPS Flex with a Noctua NF P12 for me it works well and is still quieter then my power supply.

Extreme silence is VERY hard. You keep replacing parts to find others are not too loud(CPU fan/hard drives/case fans/power supply and so on).

If the APU cooler is that loud, the 212 will be a huge drop in noise and at idle conditions should spin quite slowly.

Some boards let you set PWM or Voltage. Try voltage, it makes some PWM fans spin even slower :)

Status
Not open for further replies.