Question Fanless (no coolers) computers?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Are there any prospects that sometime in the future we might be able to have computers with no fans, neither on the CPU, GPU or the power supply? I'm thinking here of computers used exclusively for web browsing, watching videos, movies, no gaming.

I know you could already have a water cooled system, but I mean in more standard rigs, so no water cooling or exotic stuff like that.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you are familiar with Paul's Hardware on YouTube I believe his latest build video is a fully passive system. I know he has older content in regard to it. There is even a "high end" case that features passive cooling built into design. It's a bit of an ongoing joke in a way because some boutique builder is using it as an "audiophile" build for media PC, but I cannot recall the name as reference.

I am not 100% positive but think some of the NUC out there are passive as well and should perform well for the tasks you mention.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What do you mean by prospects? Because a fanless PC could be assembled right now, if desired... those activities you mention use very few resources.
i3-12100 or Ryzen 5600G
Noctua NH-P1
Seasonic PX-500 Fanless
Case: use a bench table, a chimney stack case or a case that allows for easy bottom to top flow.