Fans - 3 exhaust (PSU) and 3 intake (PWM) ???

piotr.orlowski.666

Prominent
Jul 6, 2018
I wonder if anyone can help. I bought GX500 case which came with 3 fans - 1 rear and 2 top. These are 3-pin and came with cabling to be connected to PSU. I'm putting in Asus Z87-A which allows up to 3 chassis fans so I bought 3 Silent Wings 3 fans to put 2 at the front of the case and 1 on the side. These are 4-pin fans plugged directly to the motherboard.

Is it likely to cause any problems - 3 fans plugged into PSU and 3 plugged into the motherboard? Or is that ok?

Solution
All fan headers on Asus Z87-A are 4pin, so they support PWM mode.
It might be possible to configure them into DC mode in BIOS.
DC/PWM are speed regulation modes. DC doesn't mean constant speed.

piotr.orlowski.666

Prominent
Jul 6, 2018
Thanks for your reply. I actually read somewhere that apparently Asus Z87-A only supports PWM for the CPU fans. The chassis fans, although 4 pin as well, only run in DC mode. Not knowing that I purchased the PWM fans. I can plug them into the motherboard 4-pin headers and I'm assuming they will be running constant top speed as DC.

All fan headers on Asus Z87-A are 4pin, so they support PWM mode.
It might be possible to configure them into DC mode in BIOS.
DC/PWM are speed regulation modes. DC doesn't mean constant speed.

Solution

piotr.orlowski.666

Prominent
Jul 6, 2018

So will it be ok running 3 intake fans plugged into the motherboard and 3 exhaust plugged into PSU in that configuration?

piotr.orlowski.666

Prominent
Jul 6, 2018

I know, I bought these 3 'Silent Wings 3' fans for another case and GX500 already came with 3 fans. Do you think I should just replace the GX500 stock fans with the Silent Wings 3 then?

I can't find any info on these stock fans, wouldn't expect them to be of superior quality anyway, not at that price of the case.