Fans (30% constant is ok ?) @ gtx1070

dsr07mm

Distinguished
Since I overclocked my 1070 with extra +50mV +110core/+500memory & 111% Power Limit I'm trying to avoid GPU Boost 3.0 to mess with my clock speeds. Since it's downclocking on 55c/60c/65c I locked fans on 60c with 60% and temp is not going over 62c but my question is next.

Is it better to keep fans on 0% till 40c and then use them on 40%, when they will constantly stop and start spining in less demanding games which I play a lot since gpu hits 40c and then it drops to 38c due to fans, and then 15secs later they start again.

Or it's better to keep them 30% all the time till 40c ?

I had 30% fans always even while PC is idle on my old cards, just making sure what is better. Constant spin or constant start/stop ?

Iceman21

Respectable
May 3, 2016
If you have good airflow in your case you can set the fans to start at 50C or 55C. I guess they wont start during light loads. I assume you have a card with aftermarket cooler, no reference.

dsr07mm

Distinguished
It's good airflow with a lot of intakes and outtakes. But card would most likely heat without fans in less demanding games eventually up to 55c, and then once when 50/60% fans starts they would cool card for a bit and then temp would rise again ? I tried that already :( So that's why I'm wondering what is better scenario on a long run since I can play up to 15 hours per day games like Diablo 3, Dota 2 or WoW and all of those are those "type" of games.

Iceman21

Respectable
May 3, 2016
I just cant understand why you OC your gpu when you mostly play less demanding games. Do you feel the difference between 400 and 450 fps? I think for the fan it will better to stop and start. But in real world I think it should last through gpu's life even spinning all the time on low speeds (assuming there is nothing defective).

dsr07mm

Distinguished
No I use vsync on 1080p60hz 32" TV display. So I don't care but there are games where you see FPS drops if not clocked, and it's free performance so ofcourse that I will have fun trying to find max stable overclock with every new GPU. AAA games doesn't reach more then 70-80fps on this or 980Ti card so that boost with 7-10fps actually can be noticed, especially in scenes where FPS tend to drop below 60fps, like explosions in The Division, Crysis 3 with MSAA8x especially on my 1080p TV where you want perfect edges in game like that to enjoy graphics.

I do play less intensive games because they are time killer on daily base, AAA games are here to enjoy in achievement hunt or some group plays if they are online. Simple as that :)

So since I have pretty much 20/7 alt tabbed WoW or Diablo 3 or Football Manager, it's really common gpu to heat to around 40-45c and then fans start and stop after 10secs as soon as they lower temperature. I could just use 0% till 55c and then use 60%.. But that is why I asked, is it better for fans to spin all the time instead being forced to stop and start every now and then.