Question Fans and leds on MOBO will turn on but no video output

Jul 12, 2019
I just bought a GTX 1070 and 8gb of ddr4 2666 stick of ram, tried to install them in my current system and fans and leds in MOBO were lighting up but the MOBO wasn't providing video output, I started to troubleshoot it, and long story short I end up taking the MOBO out of the case and using only 1 stick of ddr4 to test, still no video output. I have tried the fallowing troubleshooting steps:(All of these step were performed with the MOBO out of the case and put it in top of his box)
1.Check Ram, changed the ram stick and also alternated the channel.
2.Look for any loose cable, checked the 24 pin and 8 pin cables.
3.Clear the CMOS. (I removed the MOBO battery for around 8-10 minutes then I put it back and got a screwdriver to jumper the CMOS pins for 5-8 secs)

NOTES: Computer was working fine before installing the memory stick and GPU, once I did that I was no longer able to shut down the pc even though I tried holding down the power boton for 10+ secs.

MOBO : Asus B450M-A
DDR4: Ballistix sport 2666 (one 4GB stick and one 8GB stick )
CPU: Ryzen 2200G
PSU: ANTEC High Current Gaming 520M

that's my test bench for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so with the board out of the case, try the following, if you haven't already.

1. Remove the graphics card.
  2. Connect the display to one of the motherboard video outputs.
  3. Verify that the memory is installed in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket. ONLY those slots.
  4. Remove the CMOS battery, again, for five minutes. During those five minutes move the clear cmos jumper to the reset position and leave it there for 30 seconds. After the five minutes are up return the clear cmos jumper to it's orignal position. If your board does not have a clear cmos jumper pin but does have a clear cmos button, then push that for 30 seconds instead of the jumper pins. Reinstall the CMOS battery.
Power on the unit and see if there is any change. If it will POST with the onboard graphics then power off, perform the same hard reset of the CMOS battery as before, reinstall the graphics card, connect the power cables to the graphics card, move the display cable back to the graphics card output, and again power on and try to POST. If it returns to the same behavior of starting up with no video output then it's likely you have a bad card.

Did you happen to notice if the fans on the graphics card are coming on, or any lights, on the graphics card, previously?

Did you have a different graphics card installed previously, or were you using the integrated graphics before you installed this graphics card?

How old is your 520w High current gamer? How long in service?

Jul 12, 2019
Ok, so with the board out of the case, try the following, if you haven't already.

1. Remove the graphics card.
  2. Connect the display to one of the motherboard video outputs.
  3. Verify that the memory is installed in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket. ONLY those slots.
  4. Remove the CMOS battery, again, for five minutes. During those five minutes move the clear cmos jumper to the reset position and leave it there for 30 seconds. After the five minutes are up return the clear cmos jumper to it's orignal position. If your board does not have a clear cmos jumper pin but does have a clear cmos button, then push that for 30 seconds instead of the jumper pins. Reinstall the CMOS battery.
Power on the unit and see if there is any change. If it will POST with the onboard graphics then power off, perform the same hard reset of the CMOS battery as before, reinstall the graphics card, connect the power cables to the graphics card, move the display cable back to the graphics card output, and again power on and try to POST. If it returns to the same behavior of starting up with no video output then it's likely you have a bad card.

Did you happen to notice if the fans on the graphics card are coming on, or any lights, on the graphics card, previously?

Did you have a different graphics card installed previously, or were you using the integrated graphics before you installed this graphics card?

How old is your 520w High current gamer? How long in service?
I basically did all what you said, except for some of the steps for clearing the CMOS, I'm using the integrated graphics from my ryzen 2200g. When I installed the graphics card everything looked good, fans will spin and lights in the card will light up. My PSU was working fine before I installed the GPU and the new ram, it has been on service for around 4 years now though. I had a GTX 980 before and no issues until now. I have been using my ryzen 2200g without an external GPU for month and no issues there (Except for the FPS LOL) thanks for a prompt response. I'll try doing the CMOS one more time.

What memory did you have BEFORE compared to what you have now?

Try each stick of RAM, by itself, in the A2 slot (Second slot over from the CPU), and reset CMOS after each attempt.

Is it NOT working with just the iGPU since you tried the new memory and graphics card?

Have you tried using ONLY the stick of memory you had originally in the system WITH only the iGPU AND a CMOS reset, to see if you can at least get it back to the original status?

Where did the graphics card and memory come from? New or used?

Has the CPU been out of the motherboard at any time during any of this process?

Jul 12, 2019
What memory did you have BEFORE compared to what you have now?

Try each stick of RAM, by itself, in the A2 slot (Second slot over from the CPU), and reset CMOS after each attempt.

Is it NOT working with just the iGPU since you tried the new memory and graphics card?

Have you tried using ONLY the stick of memory you had originally in the system WITH only the iGPU AND a CMOS reset, to see if you can at least get it back to the original status?

Where did the graphics card and memory come from? New or used?

Has the CPU been out of the motherboard at any time during any of this process?
I was using a stick of ballistix ddr4 2600 4gb and now I got an 8gb 2666 same brand, as of now I have tried both stick individually in the A2 slots, haven't reset the CMOS after each attempt though.
It's not working with the iGPU since I tried with the new memory and graphics card.
I have tried to get back to my original set up and performed the CMOS reset.
The graphics card was slighly used(Can only tell by the looks of the graphics card, can't tell for how long was used though) and the memory was brand new. I really appreciate the help and really hope that it's not a faulty PSU or MOBO. I don't have another PSU to test it, but when everything was plugged my 2 hard drives will spin, case fan and cpu wall will spin, mobo lights would turn on, and even the GPU fans and lights will turn on.

Do you know anybody with a PSU that is decent quality, at least 500w, who might let you borrow it for testing?

Problem with motherboard troubleshooting is you pretty much have to eliminate everything else first.

Being as you already have it on the bench, I would also pull the CPU and just make sure we aren't dealing with a bent pin that wasn't a problem with just the iGPU in use, but became one after attempting to use the GTX 1070. Were you using the GTX 980 on this same system prior to using the iGPU, and if so, for what reason did you stop using that? Did you start having problems with the graphics card's performance. Did it die completely. What was the reason you stopped using THAT card.

Jul 12, 2019
Do you know anybody with a PSU that is decent quality, at least 500w, who might let you borrow it for testing?

Problem with motherboard troubleshooting is you pretty much have to eliminate everything else first.

Being as you already have it on the bench, I would also pull the CPU and just make sure we aren't dealing with a bent pin that wasn't a problem with just the iGPU in use, but became one after attempting to use the GTX 1070. Were you using the GTX 980 on this same system prior to using the iGPU, and if so, for what reason did you stop using that? Did you start having problems with the graphics card's performance. Did it die completely. What was the reason you stopped using THAT card.
Yes I know someone, I'll guess that an 80+ bronze should do the work. I don't have thermal paste at hand, that's why I haven't done that, but I'll get some tomorrow to pull out the CPU and look for any bent pin, and yes the GTX 1070 feels heavier than my previous GTX 980, I even got to think that I may have bent the pcb from the MOBO due to the weight so I checked for that and doesn't look like that to me. I used the GTX 980 in this exact same system and I had no issues, the reason I stopped using it was cause I was looking foward a GTX 1070 since they were relatively cheap, selling the GTX 980 to get the GTX 1070 was a no brainer for me. Little did I know something is better than nothing.. Anyways thank you for your help as for today I don't think I have anything else to tried but will get the PSU and thermal paste to eliminate everything and come to a conclusion.

Bronze, silver, gold, these are just ratings for EFFICIENCY, not quality. They only matter if the quality of the platform itself that the PSU is built using (Seasonic G, Super Flower Leadex, for example of platforms) is good to start with. These days, most power supplies that are good quality will also have at least Bronze efficiency and most will be Gold, but there are plenty of units that have good efficiency ratings but have lousy build quality or use cheap components so while they might initially be ok, they will degrade and lose capability fairly quickly, or just be junk to start with.

Well, the good news is, if the motherboard is bad, then as long as you bought it new it should still be under warranty because ASUS warranties their motherboards for five years. The bad news is, if you are not in a region where ASUS has a presence, it might then require an amount of shipping to get it to them and back to you that exceeds the value of the motherboard.

WHERE did you buy the graphics card used from? Ebay? Somewhere else? I have a feeling that this is what has caused the problem and it probably was already bad, and the seller probably knew that, and it probably (Yes, I'm making some assumptions here but I think we're to the point where at least a few guesses need to get thrown out there) whacked your motherboard PCI circuit. Obviously it's very possible that is NOT the case, but if it's not a power supply issue, I'm not sure what it is at this point other than a bad board since it won't work with just the iGPU, unless there is a CPU issue with the pins.

Jul 12, 2019
Bronze, silver, gold, these are just ratings for EFFICIENCY, not quality. They only matter if the quality of the platform itself that the PSU is built using (Seasonic G, Super Flower Leadex, for example of platforms) is good to start with. These days, most power supplies that are good quality will also have at least Bronze efficiency and most will be Gold, but there are plenty of units that have good efficiency ratings but have lousy build quality or use cheap components so while they might initially be ok, they will degrade and lose capability fairly quickly, or just be junk to start with.

Well, the good news is, if the motherboard is bad, then as long as you bought it new it should still be under warranty because ASUS warranties their motherboards for five years. The bad news is, if you are not in a region where ASUS has a presence, it might then require an amount of shipping to get it to them and back to you that exceeds the value of the motherboard.

WHERE did you buy the graphics card used from? Ebay? Somewhere else? I have a feeling that this is what has caused the problem and it probably was already bad, and the seller probably knew that, and it probably (Yes, I'm making some assumptions here but I think we're to the point where at least a few guesses need to get thrown out there) whacked your motherboard PCI circuit. Obviously it's very possible that is NOT the case, but if it's not a power supply issue, I'm not sure what it is at this point other than a bad board since it won't work with just the iGPU, unless there is a CPU issue with the pins.

I got the GPU from ebay, after all everything was in good condition but somehow my MOBO would not have video output. Luckily I'm under warranty, only issue now is that I'll have to wait till' september to claim the warranty since I'm not from USA... but I'll be traveling in september so I'll just have to wait, meanwhile I'm looking for a quick replacement either b450 asrock steel legends or b450 msi gaming plus and I'm looking forward to get a ryzen 3600.