Question Fans are far louder after updating my BIOS

Jan 4, 2022
My second fan within a year started making a noise so I tried looking up a solution, and someone said it may be a bios issue with fan speeds or something similar.
I updated my Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi to the most recent BIOS on their site, X57IAPRW.35d

My fans on next boot were extremely loud, so I put them on the default, "silent" fan curve. It worked to a point, but the sound is still more noticeable, and when the CPU occasionally spikes even during idle, it ramps up like crazy.

Jan 4, 2022
so set a custom fan curve of your own design
or replace the fans with better PWM versions if this is not possible.
I don't really think it's that simple. The fans are louder and the temps are higher than they have been before. In CS:GO I'm stuck at 75c CPU and 80c GPU.
I have a Scythe Kaze Flex Slim for my CPU and 2 Noctua NF-P12s on my GPU.
I even tried making a fan curve with FanControl but the percentages don't add up at all. It said my CPU fan was at 49% at ~75c so I increased the percentage to 70% and it's the same temp.

Jan 4, 2022
I don't really think it's that simple. The fans are louder and the temps are higher than they have been before. In CS:GO I'm stuck at 75c CPU and 80c GPU.
I have a Scythe Kaze Flex Slim for my CPU and 2 Noctua NF-P12s on my GPU.
I even tried making a fan curve with FanControl but the percentages don't add up at all. It said my CPU fan was at 49% at ~75c so I increased the percentage to 70% and it's the same temp.
Wanted to now add that I mostly fixed the CPU fan sound problem by pressing my finger into it and stopping it from spinning. It made the loud sound for another second or two before stopping, and temps in CS:GO are at 70c now. But there's still a problem. My 2 Noctua fans on my GPU rated for 1700rpm will not go past 960rpm, even with my fan curve in the BIOS saying to set the fans at 100% when it reaches 80C.

I don't really think it's that simple...

I'm stuck at 75c CPU
a BIOS update cannot just make your fans louder at the same RPM.
if the built-in curve profiles have been affected then you would need to create your own.

but this is a low quality fan, even with it's exorbitant price, so i wouldn't be surprised if it is just beginning to fail.
the fact that physically manipulating it alters it's function would further point to this.

i would get a better cooler with better fan(s) and then you should easily stay at or under 60°C.
2 Noctua fans on my GPU
you have a custom GPU shroud with 120mm Noctuas installed, a hybrid or other liquid setup, or just these two fans near to the GPU's location?
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
try using Gigabyte's motherboard control software to set custom fan curves inside of the OS and see if you get better results vs using the BIOS.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
But there's still a problem. My 2 Noctua fans on my GPU rated for 1700rpm will not go past 960rpm, even with my fan curve in the BIOS saying to set the fans at 100% when it reaches 80C.

Theres your problem. NF-P12 don't have PWM, they are on or off that's it. The way to change fan speed is different resistance cable attachments that came with them, the product page says it comes with cables to set it for 900/1100/1300rpm, so find the 1300 if you want it going faster

Jan 4, 2022
a BIOS update cannot just make your fans louder at the same RPM.
if the built-in curve profiles have been affected then you would need to create your own.

but this is a low quality fan, even with it's exorbitant price, so i wouldn't be surprised if it is just beginning to fail.
the fact that physically manipulating it alters it's function would further point to this.

i would get a better cooler with better fan(s) and then you should easily stay at or under 60°C.

you have a custom GPU shroud with 120mm Noctuas installed, a hybrid or other liquid setup, or just these two fans near to the GPU's location?

try using Gigabyte's motherboard control software to set custom fan curves inside of the OS and see if you get better results vs using the BIOS.
I got this cooler and fan specifically because I'm using a slim matx case and they're the ones that fit.

I literally just zip tied the Noctua fans onto this 970 because the card itself was way too loud when under load.
Theres your problem. NF-P12 don't have PWM, they are on or off that's it. The way to change fan speed is different resistance cable attachments that came with them, the product page says it comes with cables to set it for 900/1100/1300rpm, so find the 1300 if you want it going faster
I have the NF-P12 Redux 1700PWM, that shouldn't be the issue. Are they somehow not actually in PWM? I'm using a PWM splitter for both of them so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I got this cooler and fan specifically because I'm using a slim matx case and they're the ones that fit.

I literally just zip tied the Noctua fans onto this 970 because the card itself was way too loud when under load.

I have the NF-P12 Redux 1700PWM, that shouldn't be the issue. Are they somehow not actually in PWM? I'm using a PWM splitter for both of them so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be.

When you said nf-12, i read nf-12, and when the issue might be pwm its worth specifiying it wasnt nf-12 you were talking about next time.

You can't just strap fans onto a shroud. You either need a custom shroud which has slots for them, or a custom (BIIIIIIIG) heatsink headpadded onto the pcb. When the companies make these fans, the good ones more or less put them in a wind tunnel to tune them. If you've got 2 fans millimetres away from each other's backs each with their own flow patterns then it's ruining both their efficiencies.