Fans connected to a Hub are not being detected by the Bios

flightoftherat

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Hello dear community

Here I go again. I purchased the Silverstone Hub:

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I

I have 3 Corsair af120 quiet as bottom intake. These are connected to the Hub and this one to the CHA_FAN1 header on the Mobo.

The bios won't recognize the hub, hence the 3 fans.

My rear exhaust fan is connected to the CHA_FAN2 header (A Corsair af120 quiet as well) and it is being recognized and controlled by software (I tried Al Suite by Asus). My Thermaltake Water 3.0 pump is connected to CPU_FAN and its radiator to CPU_OPT. Those work great and are being recognized and can be controlled with the same software.(Maybe because the radiator has 4 pin connector and the pump only 3, but afain it needs to be at full speed at all times). I don't understand why the exahust fan can be controlled by a software if it has only 3 pin anyway.

Why I ask this... The PC in normal use is a bit loud to my taste, I mean, under not demanding use, the bottom fans could spin slower.

All the Corsair Fans are 3 pin connector. But the Silverstone Hub has 4 pin so I wonder if i'll be able to control them automatically (when it gets too hot) or manually with a software. Setting them in the Bios is way pain in the... If I want to play something harsh, would I need to restart and set them back to full speed? :lol:

My specs:

Asus Rog Strix z370-g wifi-AC
i7 8700k
GTX 1080ti
16 GB Corsair Ram

i downloaded SpeedFan and as expected it didn't recognize the fans connected to the Hub.

Last question, can SpeedFan control fan speed even if the fans have only 3 pins connectors? I really don't want to leave the fans fixed everytime I start the PC at X speed in the Bios.

Thank you in advance :)

As I read it, the Silverstone hub is essentially a way to connect up to 8 fans to the psu.
There is no speed control there.

3 pin fans are adjusted by reducing the voltage from 12v to something else.
They will have a yellow speed sensing wire that a motherboard connection can sense.

PWM fans operate similarly but the speed control is by the frequency of 12v pulses.

One option would be to use fan splitter to combine two fans to be operated similarly.
Then, there are front panel manual fan controllers.

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
The Silverstone hub controls PWM fans.
The Corsair AF fans are DC fans.

Therefore, they will always run at full speed. PWM supplies a constant 12V and alters the fan speed based on a PWM signal on the 4th pin.

The motherboard will "see" the PWM splitter as a single fan. It'll provide an RPM reading to the motherboard from a single fan. It's marked on the fan hub with a "notch" ... you need to have a fan plugged in here for the motherboard to see the RPM signal.

flightoftherat

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
I see, thank you guys.

According to this website: https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/strix-gtx-10801070-what-is-asus-fancontrol/

The GPU has two fan headers. If you see this:

ocfNAl9.jpg

I could connect the two fans located right below to the GPU headers, being capable of controlling them if needed (or automatically it GPU reaches X temperature). So the remaining fan at the right, which serves to the case, can be connected to the CHA_FAN2 header so I can discard the Silverstone Hub as it prevents my fans to be controlled.

What do you think? Have you tried it?

The Asus Al Suite allows me to control the 3 pin fans (I could do it with the rear exahust), I just don't want to do it in the bios, I even prefer a manual fan controller if I have no more choice.