[SOLVED] Fans for Nzxt H510 case?

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
My motherboard won't be here til Wednesday so I'm getting all my other components situated here.

I'm wondering about the cooling in this Nzxt H510 (not i, not elite just the plain one) case. I've got a Noctua DH-15 going in there.

I've read there's not really any advantage to adding more fans on the front of input and just having the top and rear fans for exhaust is ok. Are those Aer F120 (case version) fans decent? Would I be better off replacing them with some good Noctuas? And if I do should I put a 140mm on the top since it can fit?

I figured I should think about this now. It'd be a whole lot easier changing out fans now vs when everything's installed, especially that beast of a cpu cooler.

Solution
https://images.app.goo.gl/vjFPqvFCg7BAQNfm9

The NH-D15 fits. Barely. Although it can become a NH-D15S in a hurry if you have taller than low profile ram. The D15 typically is 5mm taller than the offset D15S. Alternatively, you can slap on a NF-A12x25 for an oversized NH-D14 hybrid and get almost equitable cooling that does clear lower heatsinked ram and doesn't require moving the front fan upwards.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You don't need to change the fans in that case, unless you find them to be too loud - you can always set a fan curve for them through bios though.
Yes, it is true that there is no real advantage to adding fans in the front of this case... at least on AIR. If you're going to liquid cool either the cpu or gpu, then it's worth using.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
You don't need to change the fans in that case, unless you find them to be too loud - you can always set a fan curve for them through bios though.
Yes, it is true that there is no real advantage to adding fans in the front of this case... at least on AIR. If you're going to liquid cool either the cpu or gpu, then it's worth using.

I am kind of curious how loud they'll be. That's one thing about my old setup in the Define C was nearly silent.

Apr 21, 2020
NZXT fans are decent. Strong enough to do its purpose. Though 140mm fan would be better on top exhaust. Then just slap in front the extra 120mm that comes with your case.

I bought 120mm RGB armaggedon fan in addition to my existing but regret it. Should've bought NZXT fan instead.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NZXT fans are decent. Strong enough to do it's purpose. Though 140mm fan would be better on top exhaust. Then just slap in front the extra 120mm that comes with your case.

I bought 120mm RGB armaggedon fan in addition to my existing but regret it. Should've bought NZXT fan instead.
The optimal fan setup varies between chassis.
What works in one may not work in another, and it's been shown in more than a few scenarios that adding fans in the front for an AIR COOLED NZXT H500 series is negligible, or even detrimental, to cooling performance.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

https://www.youtube(dot)com/watch?v=_ixFt7h8fak

More effective to mount a liquid cooler in the front.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
The optimal fan setup varies between chassis.
What works in one may not work in another, and it's been shown in more than a few scenarios that adding fans in the front for an AIR COOLED NZXT H500 series is negligible, or even detrimental, to cooling performance.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

https://www.youtube(dot)com/watch?v=_ixFt7h8fak

More effective to mount a liquid cooler in the front.

I thought about an AIO liquid cooler in the front but I'm leaning towards the giant air cooler. Although it'll probably be a pain to get in there I feel like there's less to go wrong. And it's probably quieter.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Depends on the model. Some models are fairly easy to mount.
Noctua has one of the most user-friendly mounting kits.

I picked up an NH-D15 that I plan on putting in this Nzxt H510 case. I haven't looked to see quite how it looks like it'll fit. I think it can be done but may be a chore.

I suppose I could put it on before I put the motherboard in but that'd lead to a whole different set of problems.

(I miss this case I had years ago where the motherboard mounted on a plate that could swing out.)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have the NH-D15S - basically a D15 without a front fan and leaning to the side for better PCIE x16 clearance. It's pretty easy - at least compared to these coolers I've handled:
Stock Intel cooler: push pins, 'nuff said.
Cooler Master Hyper 212: that crossbar mount was more complicated than it needed to be.
be quiet! Dark Rock 4: mounting it was ok, until I got to the fan. That was a PITA to fit on the heatsink - I can't remember if it was something I was doing wrong, or what. I know I cut my thumb a couple times on it...
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B: mounting it was a little confusing, and the manual wasn't all that helpful.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://images.app.goo.gl/vjFPqvFCg7BAQNfm9

The NH-D15 fits. Barely. Although it can become a NH-D15S in a hurry if you have taller than low profile ram. The D15 typically is 5mm taller than the offset D15S. Alternatively, you can slap on a NF-A12x25 for an oversized NH-D14 hybrid and get almost equitable cooling that does clear lower heatsinked ram and doesn't require moving the front fan upwards.

Last edited:
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The biggest issue with the D15 isn't ram, and ist the fan. It's the gpu. Many of the larger, hotter gpus come with thick backplates to help with heat dissipation and rigidity on the unsupported end of the gpu. Which hits the D15 quite often. Since ppl who buy a D15 usually have higher end systems, they'll have a higher end gpu too. So Noctua went back to the drawing board and released the D15S, which removed the front fan at the cost of @ 3°-5°C at maximum outputs, and offset the heatpipes to better accommodate both the 2nd ram slot and gpu backplates.

But it'll still fit 3x fans if wanted, same as both its predecessors.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
The biggest issue with the D15 isn't ram, and ist the fan. It's the gpu. Many of the larger, hotter gpus come with thick backplates to help with heat dissipation and rigidity on the unsupported end of the gpu. Which hits the D15 quite often. Since ppl who buy a D15 usually have higher end systems, they'll have a higher end gpu too. So Noctua went back to the drawing board and released the D15S, which removed the front fan at the cost of @ 3°-5°C at maximum outputs, and offset the heatpipes to better accommodate both the 2nd ram slot and gpu backplates.

But it'll still fit 3x fans if wanted, same as both its predecessors.

I've got a EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Gaming going in there that I picked up a while back. It's not too huge so I'm hoping it'll fit ok.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

I just bought that exact same card 3 days ago lol.

And here you see it's nice, juicy, supporting backplate. Hope it fits the D15. You may have to cut and slide a piece of card stock between them, preventing scratches, fin damage on the cooler, the resulting high-pitched whine of metal-metal contact...

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
A couple of items. That H510 case I got didn't impress me that much. I liked my old fractal design better.

That NH-D15 is a BEAST! I did manage to get it in the case, but it was a chore.

I did manage to get in there, but barely. I had a hell of a time getting it to attach to the base and couldn't do it until I removed the motherboard from the case and did it on the kitchen table. It wasn't a joy putting it back in with that big hunk of metal hanging off it.

After futzing around with it all day yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to get something else. The H510 is going back. I have a Meshify S2 coming on Friday.

Although that NH-D15 is great and will keep temps low, I'm noticing it's not great with my Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master motherboard. It has very little clearance for my USB-C header. And it's awful close to the GPU also.

I'm still thinking I want to stick with air cooling, just for simplicity's sake. Less to go wrong with a hunk of metal and a fan blowing on it than with pumps and water. Perhaps something a little smaller is in order. Would the NH-u15s handle a 3900x? I like that it's a bit smaller.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
There's a NH-U15S?

Oh wait, that has to be a typo. You meant D15S: yeah, there's literally a couple degrees difference between the 2 coolers.
IMO, the S is superior to the original - that you can't get it in black is the only downside.

Oops I tired and starting to make mistakes. I meant to say either the NH-D15s or the NH-U14s.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
I have another dumb question.

It's been years since I've used an AIO cooler. We're talking before the days of RGB. IIRC back then it was pretty simple. You plugged the pump into a fan outlet and I think the fan(s) into another.

It looks like these days it's way more complex with USB and SATA and what not. Is it even possible to just plug the pump into my motherboard's pump header and run the fans off the cpu fan header and let the bios control the speed rather than some bloated software?

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
You can still do that.
The bloatware is optional, but more of a necessity for the folks who want to be able to control their RGB.
Bios > bloatware.

That's what I was curious about. I really don't care much about the RGB. Heck, I was tempted to get a case without a window.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Radi...entralb-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU76158YYwYg&th=1

Something like that would be nice and leave better access to the other stuff in the case than a big air cooler.

TRENDING THREADS