[SOLVED] fans full speed on boot

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
asus GeForce gtx 1060 6 gb dual oc. card works good and is quiet after windows loads but goes almost full speed a few seconds
before windows loads. It didnt do this the first time i installed but started doing it after maybe a week. I never seen a graphics
card do this before and i upgraded 20 plus computers. could bios of the card be corrupted since its also loud before
installing the drivers for the first time?
Keep or rma?

Solution
yeah I mean ther is nothing wrong with it spinning up I can understand that, but set it to almost 100 percent in bios at every boot? that is very strange to me.
Ah... u make it sound this was purposely designed in... not really... electronics naturally run at full power UNTIL somebody designs a control to change that natural behavior.

Somewhere u mention a card this expensive should have a more civilized startup speed and I agree with you but oh well, they didn't. Assume there is no setup util for this GPU to configure startup/default speed?

So if there is a function to moderate this full startup speed would come from GPU's own BIOS, then Mobo's BIOS, and finally Windows.

U may have to suck it up.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I think it's fairly normal (read link). On models where the programming actually turns the fans off below certain temps it actually provides you with "proof of life." In other words if you settle in for low gpu cruising of the internet and are wondering whether your fans work because you're used to hearing them when gaming, well, this is proof of life.

I think my psu does it too but actually I would have to reboot and take a look.

Greg N

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
ok thanks Greg, so this have to be coded in the bios of the card, its not a very big deal since its only a few seconds before windows loads but still I think for a card of this price they should have done
this better it just take away that feeling of a fully quiet system. I don't really agree with its normal because the drivers haven't loaded because most cards don't even require drivers to be silent that is done from the bios before drivers loads but it seems like alot of people have this issue.
One comment in that thread says this could be a antidust feature in the bios that can be modded, if i knew how to mod this I would set it to not go full blast but maybe 40-50 percen.t

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
ok thanks Greg, so this have to be coded in the bios of the card, its not a very big deal since its only a few seconds before windows loads but still I think for a card of this price they should have done
this better it just take away that feeling of a fully quiet system. I don't really agree with its normal because the drivers haven't loaded because most cards don't even require drivers to be silent that is done from the bios before drivers loads but it seems like alot of people have this issue.
One comment in that thread says this could be a antidust feature in the bios that can be modded, if i knew how to mod this I would set it to not go full blast but maybe 40-50 percen.t

Well I can tell you that my Seasonic fan comes on (it hardly ever comes on because I hardly ever push it to the point of heating) and stops right away. The fans on the gpu also come on. They stay on longer but they also turn off.

Neither psu nor gpu makes noise though. Maybe that is a question of style. Running at full alerts you without looking that the fans are on but as you say maybe that's not needed. If there is an issue you're investigating it's easy enough to reboot and see if the fan and gpu fans are turning. It's a basic power test.

One of the basic psu tests is the paper clip test to see if the fan turns. Well you don't need to do that if you boot up and see the fan is turning. There might be something wrong with the psu, but whatever it is, it's not that.

And, why not, an anti-dust feature for psu and gpu. CPUID is an app you can download to watch current, high, and low fan speeds and temps since you started up. But my CPUID shows the gpu fan at zero for all three indicating it isn't able to monitor during boot up, which makes sense, the OS isn't loaded.

Greg N

Last edited:
yeah I mean ther is nothing wrong with it spinning up I can understand that, but set it to almost 100 percent in bios at every boot? that is very strange to me.
Ah... u make it sound this was purposely designed in... not really... electronics naturally run at full power UNTIL somebody designs a control to change that natural behavior.

Somewhere u mention a card this expensive should have a more civilized startup speed and I agree with you but oh well, they didn't. Assume there is no setup util for this GPU to configure startup/default speed?

So if there is a function to moderate this full startup speed would come from GPU's own BIOS, then Mobo's BIOS, and finally Windows.

U may have to suck it up.

Solution