[SOLVED] Fans have terrible sound only during starting up

austinstama

Commendable
Sep 3, 2018
Good evening,

For a while I have had an issue where one (or multiple, do not really know which ones) make an awful sound when starting up when they did not used to before. This only occurs during the startup and after about 5 minutes, the sound goes away. The sound does not return during stress tests that force them to ramp up. Below is a 35 second clip of them during start up, the sound beings around the 10 second mark. The last 5 seconds is a jump to when the fan stomps making the sound.

Video of start up with sound

I checked to see if anything with getting in the way but did not see anything. There is also times, although rare, where the sound is much louder and does not stop. However a light tap on the top where the fan is located will make the louder version of this sound stop. I am wondering if I should be worried about this. The fans all seem to run properly, and quietly after it has had time, and my temps throughout my components are also fine. The sound just always makes me a little anxious to the point I usually start it up while I am away from the room so I do not have to hear it and so its gone when I do come back.

Solution
If you don't want to change the fan you can try peeling off the sticker on the fan to reveal the bearing and you add 1-2 drop of oil. You put back the sticker and try again. If you're lucky it will be as silent as before.
Good evening,

For a while I have had an issue where one (or multiple, do not really know which ones) make an awful sound when starting up when they did not used to before. This only occurs during the startup and after about 5 minutes, the sound goes away. The sound does not return during stress tests that force them to ramp up. Below is a 35 second clip of them during start up, the sound beings around the 10 second mark. The last 5 seconds is a jump to when the fan stomps making the sound.

Video of start up with sound

I checked to see if anything with getting in the way but did not see anything. There is also times, although rare, where the sound is much louder and does not stop. However a light tap on the top where the fan is located will make the louder version of this sound stop. I am wondering if I should be worried about this. The fans all seem to run properly, and quietly after it has had time, and my temps throughout my components are also fine. The sound just always makes me a little anxious to the point I usually start it up while I am away from the room so I do not have to hear it and so its gone when I do come back.
Sounds like some fan(s) may have a dry bearing.