Question Fans in case spin up to max rpm, can't reduce the rpm

Jul 28, 2022
I have an older system, was working fine until I cleaned the case/fans yesterday. Since then it wouldn't start up normally, would turn off before getting to bios. I managed to get it to boot normally by resetting cmos. Now when it turns on the fans go to max rpm and don't slow down at all. No idea why.

Motherboard MSI Z97s krait
Corsair h100i aio
4x4gb corsair vengeance ram
Gpu NVidia 970 strix
Corsair TX550m psu

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I have an older system, was working fine until I cleaned the case/fans yesterday. Since then it wouldn't start up normally, would turn off before getting to bios. I managed to get it to boot normally by resetting cmos. Now when it turns on the fans go to max rpm and don't slow down at all. No idea why.

Motherboard MSI Z97s krait
Corsair h100i aio
4x4gb corsair vengeance ram
Gpu NVidia 970 strix
Corsair TX550m psu
Case fans usually spin at full bore. Why would you want a variable speed case fan? CPU, GPU, cooler yes but case fans?

Jul 28, 2022
Case fans usually spin at full bore. Why would you want a variable speed case fan? CPU, GPU, cooler yes but case fans?
They're actually going full speed like making crazy noise. Plus the fans on the aio radiator are also spinning up for no reason. The PC isn't even fully booted into windows and it sounds like a plane taking off. It didn't do that before even under heavy load

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
They're actually going full speed like making crazy noise. Plus the fans on the aio radiator are also spinning up for no reason. The PC isn't even fully booted into windows and it sounds like a plane taking off. It didn't do that before even under heavy load
Never even uder a heavy load? The AIO should be adjusting to need. Try trimming the fans the the BIOS.

Jul 28, 2022
Never even uder a heavy load? The AIO should be adjusting to need. Try trimming the fans the the BIOS.
In the bios the fans are in intelligent control, and while I'm in bios they start at normal rpms. Nothing to high. Only once it starts booting into windows they ramp up. Even when I change the fan profiles in bios it doesn't change anything.
Before when I would have a heavy gaming session or run a benchmark the fans would speed up but never this high.