Question Fans Install

Sep 9, 2019
Hoping I can get some help with connecting fans. I have an MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi motherboard. I’m wanting to install 6 TT Riing Trio fans and be able to control them through my Mobo Bios. Is this possible and if so how would I hook them up. Getting kind of overwhelmed with all the research and no clear answers. Thank You in advance

Sep 9, 2019
So what are you asking about? Are you asking about fan controls or lighting controls, because these are two completely different things. You asked about fans and being able to control them through the BIOS. That would indicate you are talking about the fan operation, not the lighting controls, because mostly the lighting controls for most fans and even most of the motherboards, is done through desktop applications, not in the BIOS.

So what exactly IS it that you are concerned about, the fans, the lighting, or both?

Sep 9, 2019
So what are you asking about? Are you asking about fan controls or lighting controls, because these are two completely different things. You asked about fans and being able to control them through the BIOS. That would indicate you are talking about the fan operation, not the lighting controls, because mostly the lighting controls for most fans and even most of the motherboards, is done through desktop applications, not in the BIOS.

So what exactly IS it that you are concerned about, the fans, the lighting, or both?
I am already running mystic with motherboard and GPU, and I’m running Razer for peripherals. The lighting from fans is compatible with Razer software so I’m wanting to control fan speed through Bios. The problem I’m having is the fans and RGB have to run through the specific hub that comes with the fans. The fans have 30 LED per fan and my board has 2 addressable headers that support 72 LED per. So I’m not sure how to get fans to run through bios, and if there’s a way to get my board to support that many LEDs. It’s very confusing for my first build.

I'll be honest. I have no idea on those. For one, I tend to avoid Thermaltake products altogether because I've found them to be low quality compared to other, actual high quality products, and two, I tend to buy and install actual high quality fans that either have separate lighting and fan control connectors rather than stupid proprietary ones, or have no RGB components at all. Mainly that's because there really ARE no high performance fans that HAVE RGB. If a fan has RGB, it is probably lacking in either CFM or static pressure due to the need for a reduced size motor to accomodate the RGB hardware in the casing.

So, on those TT Riing fans you're going to need assistance from elsewhere, from somebody who has used them, but having gone through this in the past I'll just say that in the end you'll probably be better off to either just ditch them and buy a better product if those came WITH your case, or return them if you purchased them separately. But since most of you these days are hard set on getting your RGB fix and are resistant to anything contrary to that, I'll see if I can find you somebody who does have some experience with those particular fans and controller.

Technically, you probably just need to buy another controller that is compatible with those fans from Thermaltake and then connect each of your two controllers to wherever it tells you to connect them on the motherboard, but that's just a guess because I have no specific knowledge of those fans or that controller.

Sep 9, 2019
I'll be honest. I have no idea on those. For one, I tend to avoid Thermaltake products altogether because I've found them to be low quality compared to other, actual high quality products, and two, I tend to buy and install actual high quality fans that either have separate lighting and fan control connectors rather than stupid proprietary ones, or have no RGB components at all. Mainly that's because there really ARE no high performance fans that HAVE RGB. If a fan has RGB, it is probably lacking in either CFM or static pressure due to the need for a reduced size motor to accomodate the RGB hardware in the casing.

So, on those TT Riing fans you're going to need assistance from elsewhere, from somebody who has used them, but having gone through this in the past I'll just say that in the end you'll probably be better off to either just ditch them and buy a better product if those came WITH your case, or return them if you purchased them separately. But since most of you these days are hard set on getting your RGB fix and are resistant to anything contrary to that, I'll see if I can find you somebody who does have some experience with those particular fans and controller.

Technically, you probably just need to buy another controller that is compatible with those fans from Thermaltake and then connect each of your two controllers to wherever it tells you to connect them on the motherboard, but that's just a guess because I have no specific knowledge of those fans or that controller.
I really appreciate the help. i Must admit that the main reason I chose the fans is for the dual sided aesthetic. My build is just kind of a mid range plus I don’t plan on doing any OC so I’m not expecting a lot of high heat. I bought the Rosewill fans and they look ok but have one speed only, and it’s pretty slow so just wanted some PWM fans with kind of the same looks.

What is the model of your Rosewill fans? Generally, ALL fans can have variable speed, whether by PWM or DC controls. Not every board will DO both on it's four pin headers, but these days, most of them will. Usually the only non-variable speed fans are the ones that are connected to sys_fan headers on a three pin motherboard header. If they are CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN, CPU_OPT or AIO_FAN, they generally are able to handle variable speed controls through the BIOS.

Is your controller one that came with your fans, or one that came with your case? What is the model of your controller and of your case?

Sep 9, 2019
What is the model of your Rosewill fans? Generally, ALL fans can have variable speed, whether by PWM or DC controls. Not every board will DO both on it's four pin headers, but these days, most of them will. Usually the only non-variable speed fans are the ones that are connected to sys_fan headers on a three pin motherboard header. If they are CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN, CPU_OPT or AIO_FAN, they generally are able to handle variable speed controls through the BIOS.

Is your controller one that came with your fans, or one that came with your case? What is the model of your controller and of your case?
The fans are Rosewill s12001, case is Cougar Panzer Max G, and the controller came with the fans.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
TT has made things easy. They took a step back and went with a molex connector that uses both 5v and 12v instead of Sata like almost everyone else. The best part of that is the power ability of molex far exceeds Sata.

The software itself is capable of handling upto 80 fans, 16 boxes with 5 of the riing fans each. Because they are ARGB, not RGB. Important distinction. With ARGB, there's 1 addressable controller chip that sends power through the 3 color diodes in varying amounts, so all that's needed is power + signal, in affect a pwm fan, power source isn't a worry, just the signal source . With RGB, there's no controller chip, the motherboard sends the power through the diodes, vary the power, varies the color. In affect a DC fan, power is limited to the header.

So the molex supplies the 5v, the software supplies the signal. The 12v comes into play with regular fan control, same as any other pwm hub. There's switches on the box so you can set whichever you want to control, the exact settings will be included with the directions.

Basically, you setup 1 box per header, in whichever series you want, can be 5-1, 4-2 or 3-3 depending on how you want to set the fans up. With 3x intakes and 3x exhaust, that's 1 box for each etc.

The individual fans and lighting all going back to 1 program where each is addressed and addressable. Plug and play.

Being like pwm fans on a powered splitter, the 72 led limits of the header don't apply, might as well be just a single led, the signal being the only factor, which is nothing more than a series of addresses. The only time that limit would apply is for fans lighting hooked directly to the header be it a fan or strip (exactly the same thing, different shape) through an unpowered splitter.

Sep 9, 2019
TT has made things easy. They took a step back and went with a molex connector that uses both 5v and 12v instead of Sata like almost everyone else. The best part of that is the power ability of molex far exceeds Sata.

The software itself is capable of handling upto 80 fans, 16 boxes with 5 of the riing fans each. Because they are ARGB, not RGB. Important distinction. With ARGB, there's 1 addressable controller chip that sends power through the 3 color diodes in varying amounts, so all that's needed is power + signal, in affect a pwm fan, power source isn't a worry, just the signal source . With RGB, there's no controller chip, the motherboard sends the power through the diodes, vary the power, varies the color. In affect a DC fan, power is limited to the header.

So the molex supplies the 5v, the software supplies the signal. The 12v comes into play with regular fan control, same as any other pwm hub. There's switches on the box so you can set whichever you want to control, the exact settings will be included with the directions.

Basically, you setup 1 box per header, in whichever series you want, can be 5-1, 4-2 or 3-3 depending on how you want to set the fans up. With 3x intakes and 3x exhaust, that's 1 box for each etc.

The individual fans and lighting all going back to 1 program where each is addressed and addressable. Plug and play.

Being like pwm fans on a powered splitter, the 72 led limits of the header don't apply, might as well be just a single led, the signal being the only factor, which is nothing more than a series of addresses. The only time that limit would apply is for fans lighting hooked directly to the header be it a fan or strip (exactly the same thing, different shape) through an unpowered splitter.
That helps a great deal, Thanks