Question Fans Not Changing Speed

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
My normal routine for gaming:

Power on PC
Start Afterburner
Play game

Recently I've noticed that my fan profile is ignored and the speed stays consistent, for both CPU and GPU fans, resulting in them getting too hot. If I restart my PC, then they will follow the fan profile and all is well. Any ideas what could cause this?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X,
MoBo:
MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk
Memory: 32GB RAM 3600MHz CL18 Vengeance LPX
GPU: Zotac Amp Holo RTX 3080

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750W Gold Pro
Cooling: Cougar Aqua 240 AIO, 7 x 120mm Fans

Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q4 1TB NVMe, WD Blue 250GB NVMe, 2 x TCSunbow 1TB SSD, Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHD, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB
Sound: Soundblaster ZxR Pro
Case: Corsair Airflow 275R

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
If the fan speed depends on a thermistor or a thermal diode built into the motherboard (or CPU) and this device has failed, it might explain why the fan speeds are constant.

More likely your fan profiles in the BIOS aren't enabled. They might be set to Manual.

I'd expect the GPU fan speed to be independent of the CPU speed.

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
If hardware had failed, hard to explain a reboot correcting it. The profile is enabled in BIOS. Yes - I would also expect the CPU and GPU fans to be independent - very odd!

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Quote from the Afterburner web site:

"Afterburner lets you to fully customize a predefined fan speed curve."

This means you should be able to control the GPU fan in Afterburner, but there's a vague possibility a problem in Afterburner might affect other fans too.

Perhaps Afterburner is taking control of your GPU fans.

https://www.makeuseof.com/fix-msi-afterburner-fan-speed-control-not-working/

Unless you have a fan control hub, I'd expect the BIOS to control the CPU fan(s) or water pump and any case fans with 4-wires plugged into the mobo. 3-wire fans are usually not controllable by PWM, but can be voltage controlled in some instances.

The GPU firmware should control graphics card cooling, unless overriden by another program such as Afterburner or Speedfan.