Question fans not in silent mode anymore

the_funtom

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
I just bought a PC with the following config - AMD Ryzen 2700X, mobo - ASUS Prime x470 Prime and Corsair H100i v2, and Asus GeForce 1070. Now I am totally new to all this and don't understand the jargon. The whole system was running in the silent mode and I went and changed a bucnh of things, downloaded MSI afterburner and played with the fan controller which is part of the AI Suite. And then i also read that changing most of the fan settings from the bios is more reliable than using any of the software as there were a bunch of issues.

1. I just want someone to tell me how do i get back to the silent mode, and what are the pros and cons. I believe I changed from DC to PWM or something like that.
  2. Somewhere in the bios I was also asked if i'd be using this for standard use or gaming and i think i chose standard use. Does this in any way affect the fan noise or not? I am kind of wary of turning on the pc as every time i load an application, the fans just revv up and the temperatures soar up......to 70.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
PWM and standard use would normally choose the most silent mode of the fans.

PWM means that the fan speed is constantly regulated according to temperature.
DC would be on/ off at full speed.

Standard mode is an indication that no hard loading of the system is to be expected, further setting the fan to silent mode.

However any activity, i.e. starting and using any programs, will instantly load the CPU, causing it to rise in temperature, and the fan speed will follow suit, to keep the temperature down.

Thats the fan noise you hear, nothing to do about it, unless you want to fry your CPU.

You could try to upgrade your CPU cooler to something bigger with a larger diameter fan.
This has a larger capacity and wont be that noisy.

the_funtom

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked around a bit and found this https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/msi-afterburner-broke-my-friends-computer.3042976/....This is what concerns me.
Now i don't have a blue screen or frozen screen. My computer still works but turns off after it heats up. How do i check if the aio cooler is functioning or not? I don't want to use any of the these software ( Asus AI suite or MSI afterburner); i think i have to read up on all this before attempting to do anything.

How do i set up clean settings that i had before (do i need to reload windows to eliminate all software changes?). It was running smooth and I had no problems running software and also Far Cry 5 and now it's much noisier
Thats the fan noise you hear, nothing to do about it, unless you want to fry your CPU.

I agree that the fans should run but they're far too noisy and feels like they're overworking; and like i said before it was working much quieter and efficiently, and i feel something i did in msi afterburner broke the settings.

Please help!