Question Fans on case not working

Jun 22, 2021
I built this PC about a week ago. SYS_FAN1 doesn't seem to work at all, and didn't when I got the motherboard. I was fed up enough with messing around that I chose to ignore it if I could use SYS_FAN2 and everything else had no sign of trouble.

The front case fans stopped working less than 24 hours ago, mid-use, nothing intensive, no driver updates that I was aware of, though I did install drivers afterwards in order to get more data on the fan usage. On POST, they spin, but then stop and do not restart. LEDs still function. Back fan shows no issue. CPU fan shows no issue. Gigabyte SIV can detect the back fan, and the CPU fan, but not the front fans.

I tried separating them, but one front fan didn't work at all, the other continues as before, and the back fan stopped. Though I cannot attach the fan without the Y-Cable, unless I swap over my back fan cable, which I've not done. Though now I'm thinking of it, it would prove whether it's the fans or motherboard.

Anything else I should look at?

Case is MSI Forge 100R
Motherboard is Gigabyte B550 Gaming X.
Case LEDs linked to LED controller
CPU_FAN - CPU cooler
CPU_LED - CPU cooler LEDs
SYS_FAN1 - nothing
SYS_FAN2 - front case fans on Y cable
SYS_FAN3 - back fan

Jun 22, 2021
The fan could be temperature controlled (it only spins when the motherboard wants so).
I had thought of that. So, I installed Gigabyte SIV (system info viewer for motherboard), as I mentioned above, to let me see. It is temperature controlled, but it still shouldn't be at 0 rpm. It calibrated the fans, pushing them to their maximum (notable increase in volume), and the front fans still don't respond.

Temperature across the board is 28C around the bottom, 42C on the CPU. As far as I understand from these settings, the fans should be running unless the PC is ice cold, and it's not that cold here.

It'd be great if that is the answer, but I just put a decent video game on for a couple minutes and not got a twitch out of these fans. I don't know how to prove or disprove that idea beyond that.

I had thought of that. So, I installed Gigabyte SIV (system info viewer for motherboard), as I mentioned above, to let me see. It is temperature controlled, but it still shouldn't be at 0 rpm. It calibrated the fans, pushing them to their maximum (notable increase in volume), and the front fans still don't respond.

Temperature across the board is 28C around the bottom, 42C on the CPU. As far as I understand from these settings, the fans should be running unless the PC is ice cold, and it's not that cold here.

It'd be great if that is the answer, but I just put a decent video game on for a couple minutes and not got a twitch out of these fans. I don't know how to prove or disprove that idea beyond that.

You can open the case and try to blow hot air toward the motherboard using a hairdryer for a while (keep good distance with the motherboard though, a little of warm air should be enough).

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I built this PC about a week ago. SYS_FAN1 doesn't seem to work at all, and didn't when I got the motherboard. I was fed up enough with messing around that I chose to ignore it if I could use SYS_FAN2 and everything else had no sign of trouble.

The front case fans stopped working less than 24 hours ago, mid-use, nothing intensive, no driver updates that I was aware of, though I did install drivers afterwards in order to get more data on the fan usage. On POST, they spin, but then stop and do not restart. LEDs still function. Back fan shows no issue. CPU fan shows no issue. Gigabyte SIV can detect the back fan, and the CPU fan, but not the front fans.

I tried separating them, but one front fan didn't work at all, the other continues as before, and the back fan stopped. Though I cannot attach the fan without the Y-Cable, unless I swap over my back fan cable, which I've not done. Though now I'm thinking of it, it would prove whether it's the fans or motherboard.

Anything else I should look at?

Case is MSI Forge 100R
Motherboard is Gigabyte B550 Gaming X.
Case LEDs linked to LED controller
CPU_FAN - CPU cooler
CPU_LED - CPU cooler LEDs
SYS_FAN1 - nothing
SYS_FAN2 - front case fans on Y cable
SYS_FAN3 - back fan

Faulty splitter?

I'd check by taking a known good fan and plugging it into the offending header, and vice versa (so the one front fan that doesn't work into the SYS_FAN3, for instance). You'll probably need to remove the fan from the case for easier handling.

Jun 22, 2021
Faulty splitter?

I'd check by taking a known good fan and plugging it into the offending header, and vice versa (so the one front fan that doesn't work into the SYS_FAN3, for instance). You'll probably need to remove the fan from the case for easier handling.
Nope. SYS_FAN1 still does nothing, SYS_FAN2 as before with the rear fan, and the previously not working front fans work fine in SYS_FAN3.

However, something I found out, if I change SYS_FAN2's control mode in the BIOS from Auto to Voltage... it works. If I tell it to run at max speed, there's an audible speed difference, so I assume it's completely functional. But I'm not getting any data about RPM. And it's not the fan, because this is the rear fan.

TRENDING THREADS