Question Fans overworking

Apr 12, 2019
I have an:
Evga 1080 ti
I7 - 7820x
Gigabyte x299 aorus gaming 7
16 Gb of ram
Ax1200i PSU

I noticed that for some reason my fans were running really loud when in idle. I checked my temperature and the cpu and you were both at 30 and 34 degrees centigrade. I felt outside the fans and the air was really cold as was the rest of my PC. I checked, neither my cpu or gpu was being used and I had no viruses. I have updated, restarted several times and a few days later it is still happening. Can someone help? They aren’t at 100% but they are close.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Asus has profiles, Gigabyte should also has them at the BIOS. Play with them, maybe you forgot it set as Maximum.

In case fans are from different brands and speeds, it may be better to adjust the loud fans to slower speeds.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As a general rule, control of the fans on the graphics card has NOTHING to do with what the mobo does for case fans and the CPU cooler. There is no standard way for graphics card info to be sent to the mobo for fan control, so the graphics card does all its own fan control. Thus what you need to check will be different for those three groups of fans.

CPU Cooler.
See your manual, p. 28 (mobo diagram) and 59. Your CPU cooler fan should be plugged into the CPU_FAN header. On p. 59, check the configuration settings for this header (don't forget to choose the CPU_FAN header particularly to do this). Fan Speed Control to Normal (not full speed or other options), Fan Use Temperature Input to CPU (IF there is a choice - you may not have a choice for this header), Fan / Pump Control Mode to PWM IF your fan has a 4-hole connector on its wires. BUT if you have a 3-hole connector on it, set this to Voltage Mode - such a fan set to PWM Mode will always run full speed. Set Temperature Warning Control to 80C for now, but check what the right max temp for your CPU is. Set Fan / Pump Fail Warning to Enabled so you will get an immediate warning if ever that fan fails.

On to case fans.
Same routine for the case ventilation fans you have plugged into SYS_FAN headers. For each header in use, select it and check its configuration. Most will be as above for the CPU_FAN header, with two important differences. For these, set Fan Use Temperature Input to the mobo temp sensor, NOT the one inside the CPU chip. And set the Temperature Warning Control to something lower like 60C for now. Most mobo components run much cooler than the CPU, but some mobo temp sensors are actually monitoring a particular hot component and may need a higher warning limit. Again, if you have a 3-pin fan make sure the Mode is set to Voltage. Do all your SYS_FAN headers you are using. Then use the Esc key to get back to the main menu, and then the F10 key to get to the Exit menu (p. 71). There choose Save and Exit to save your settings and reboot.

Graphics Card.
Management of cooling on the graphics card by its fans is done through the card's configuration utility that came on its CD, already installed on your system I'm sure. Find that (maybe lower right of your screen). Look though its various screens to find the place to monitor card temperatures and fans. That is the only place you can change its fan peformance. However, you may have found already that the changes you made to mobo fan headers have solved your problem without fiddling with graphics card fan settings.