[SOLVED] Fans pulse maximum speed while tower hibernates

Jan 11, 2021
Howdy folks!

I've got a hibernating tower that pulses the fans to maximum speed for one second... then goes back to sleep. Repeats every 10-ish seconds. This is intermittent to seemingly random, but once the pulsing begins it continues until the computer is powered down or woken up. While the tower normally runs inaudibly, this fan pulse is loud enough to hear anywhere on that floor of the house.

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming
Tower - Cooler Master HAF 912 mid tower case
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4 3200 (model F4-3200C 16D-16GVGB) - x2, total 64gb.
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600 6 core 3.4ghz.
GPU - Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4GB
PSU - RAIDMAX Hybrid 730W. model RX-730SS
SSD - Crucial MX500, 500gb, SATA 2.5

This is my first post, and I wanted to toss a caps locked THANK YOU to the Tom's Hardware community for making this my first post. This forum has caused the demise of countless PC hiccups over the years. Regardless of the outcome here, thanks for doing your thing for so long.

Solution
Do you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

DO you have the latest AMD B350 chipset driver package installed, directly from the AMD website, not from the board manufacturer's product page?

Horrible PSU, you would be smart to change it. Not only is it a terrible, horrible, no good and very bad PSU model, it's got to be at least 10 years old. Chances are very good that it could be at least PART of your problems.

Further, it would be a good idea to disable hibernation if you haven't already, because Windows hybrid sleep and fast startup are well known for causing a variety of different issues, many of which include random components that want to simply either wake themselves or wake the system periodically or...
Do you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

DO you have the latest AMD B350 chipset driver package installed, directly from the AMD website, not from the board manufacturer's product page?

Horrible PSU, you would be smart to change it. Not only is it a terrible, horrible, no good and very bad PSU model, it's got to be at least 10 years old. Chances are very good that it could be at least PART of your problems.

Further, it would be a good idea to disable hibernation if you haven't already, because Windows hybrid sleep and fast startup are well known for causing a variety of different issues, many of which include random components that want to simply either wake themselves or wake the system periodically or randomly. I recommend doing this for every Windows 10 desktop system.

Disabling sleep is not really helpful, so I'd ignore that. Plus sleep is a desirable feature to have for a lot of people. I'd just disable hibernation.

Also, make sure ALL of your drivers for your network adapter (Both LAN and any WiFi adapters you might have), graphics card and peripherals like mouse and keyboard or printer are all the latest available versions.

Solution