[SOLVED] Fan's randomly didn’t rev down after the system posts and fans now remain on longer than I remember

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
So I recently ran into an issue where my pc turned on the fans reved up as normal but they didn’t rev down, some of them could have but I know the CPU fan didn’t. I kept the system on and found windows wanted an update so I installed it. It was one of the longer updates not just a security patch. After the update the fans were ok but that was likely only from the restart. I also now have a new thing where the fans stay on after the windows shutdown screen goes away and stay on for a bit until shutting off. I have tried resetting the bios and changing the fan curve back to normal and I have not gotten the issue where the fans don’t rev down but I’m still not sure what caused it. I’m also not sure why the fans now stay on for longer and if it’s an issue or normal and I just never noticed. Has anybody had this issue and if so is it just a normal hiccup or is it something to worry about and take action on?

Basic Specs
cpu - ryzen 7 1700
mobo - Gigabyte Aorus Pro I Wifi mini itx (this board has had issues not more than a year ago and was fixed by gigabyte they wrote “Bios corrupted replaced/reflashed” as the fix but they normally say that for all fixes)
gpu - Rtx 2060
ram - 16 gig Corsair vengeance 3200
psu - EVGA G5 650
Cpu Cooler - Noctua NH-L9a-AM4

I apologize for any grammar mistakes I’m on mobile and my grammar is not great.

Solution
So I recently ran into an issue where my pc turned on the fans reved up as normal but they didn’t rev down, some of them could have but I know the CPU fan didn’t. I kept the system on and found windows wanted an update so I installed it. It was one of the longer updates not just a security patch. After the update the fans were ok but that was likely only from the restart. I also now have a new thing where the fans stay on after the windows shutdown screen goes away and stay on for a bit until shutting off. I have tried resetting the bios and changing the fan curve back to normal and I have not gotten the issue where the fans don’t rev down but I’m still not sure what caused it. I’m also not sure why the fans now stay on for longer...
So I recently ran into an issue where my pc turned on the fans reved up as normal but they didn’t rev down, some of them could have but I know the CPU fan didn’t. I kept the system on and found windows wanted an update so I installed it. It was one of the longer updates not just a security patch. After the update the fans were ok but that was likely only from the restart. I also now have a new thing where the fans stay on after the windows shutdown screen goes away and stay on for a bit until shutting off. I have tried resetting the bios and changing the fan curve back to normal and I have not gotten the issue where the fans don’t rev down but I’m still not sure what caused it. I’m also not sure why the fans now stay on for longer and if it’s an issue or normal and I just never noticed. Has anybody had this issue and if so is it just a normal hiccup or is it something to worry about and take action on?

Basic Specs
cpu - ryzen 7 1700
mobo - Gigabyte Aorus Pro I Wifi mini itx (this board has had issues not more than a year ago and was fixed by gigabyte they wrote “Bios corrupted replaced/reflashed” as the fix but they normally say that for all fixes)
gpu - Rtx 2060
ram - 16 gig Corsair vengeance 3200
psu - EVGA G5 650
Cpu Cooler - Noctua NH-L9a-AM4

I apologize for any grammar mistakes I’m on mobile and my grammar is not great.
It's normal it takes the psu a moment to power down after windows so the system it's self is still active for a few seconds it's recommended always if ever taking apart a pc after using it wait 30s-1min before unplugging after shutting down

Solution

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
It's normal it takes the psu a moment to power down after windows so the system it's self is still active for a few seconds it's recommended always if ever taking apart a pc after using it wait 30s-1min before unplugging after shutting down
Thanks for the quick response. That’s good to hear I was assuming it could be a fail safe to prevent the cpu from overheating. Do you have any idea about why the system had that random startup where the fans were constantly reved but still posted and made it to windows?

Thanks for the quick response. That’s good to hear I was assuming it could be a fail safe to prevent the cpu from overheating. Do you have any idea about why the system had that random startup where the fans were constantly reved but still posted and made it to windows?
Probably because of windows updates. Mine does it to cpu is generally at max load and dosn't ALWAYS do the please dont power off your system windows is doing updates or blah blah blah.. If it's jist small updates it did in the backgroud before previous shutdown it will do this which would make since seeing as how you had a major update just after

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
Probably because of windows updates. Mine does it to cpu is generally at max load and dosn't ALWAYS do the please dont power off your system windows is doing updates or blah blah blah.. If it's jist small updates it did in the backgroud before previous shutdown it will do this which would make since seeing as how you had a major update just after
Thanks for the response this one random problem has been bothering me for the past day and I’m finally able to not worry. If this happens again I’ll post back here but for now I think nothing is out of the ordinary.

Ok so the issue happened again this morning and I accidentally made another thread here. Basically same issue but I will mark this thread as sloved because one of my questions was answered.
It's just short windows updates theres nothong to pnlanic about everyones system do it. You can always try setting a fan curve in bios that wont allow fans to hit hogher then a certain point.

TRENDING THREADS