Question Fans revv up randomly then I hear a ticking noise from the PSU

Apr 29, 2021
So I recently changed my CPU cooler fan, to a BeQuiet fan. Since I changed the fan, the fan itself or the tower fans (not sure) keep speeding up randomly. Even when I'm not doing anything. I have a pre-built system that has been working fine for about 5 years now. I thought the ticking was from the new cooler fan but as I open my case, the ticking starts to come after the fans rev up from the PSU. Can someone please help, this is extremely annoying. Is the PSU going out? I'm not sure. I have recently got an HDMI splitter, I don't know if that's the source of the problem or not because the noise wasn't there before I got it.

My PSU is a 400W EVGA 100-n10400
The system is around 5 years old, I bought it pre-built new and I am the only user.
I am running Windows 10

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021
So I recently changed my CPU cooler fan, to a BeQuiet fan. Since I change the fan, the fan itself or the tower fans (not sure) keep speeding up randomly. Even when I'm not doing anything. I have a pre-built system that has been working fine for about 5 years now. I thought the ticking was from the new cooler fan but as I open my case, the ticking starts to come after the fans rev up from the PSU. Can someone please help, this is extremely annoying. Is the PSU going out? I'm not sure. I have recently got an HDMI splitter, I don't know if that's the source of the problem or not because the noise wasn't there before I got it.
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (5 years?), condition (originally new, reconditioned, used)?
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (5 years?), condition (originally new, reconditioned, used)?
My PSU is a 400W EVGA 100-n10400
The system is around 5 years old, I bought it pre-built new and I am the only user.
I am running Windows 10