Question Fans run at max RPM after shutdown

Nov 16, 2021
I've been in a long process the last couple of months trying to get my new build up and running but seem to encounter a new problem every time an old one is fixed.

It all started with no display and VGA light on. Here, I got the MOBO and CPU tested which both came back as working. As the GPU and (old) PSU worked without problems in my old setup I suspected it was one of the new parts causing problems. I was then advised to buy a new PSU by the CPU testers as they had my system running with a small GPU not connected to the PSU. With the new PSU the problem persisted, but after testing with an old GTX660 my system were now able to work with my 1080ti once windows had loaded (VGA light still on, no display before windows, couldn't access bios, framerate only functional at 60Hz and capped at 100Hz with resolution noise) After reflashing BIOS on the GPU the VGA light finally turned off and the display is working during boot. I am presented with the MOBO logo and is able to access bios. I also ran the Nvidia Firmware updater for DP 1.3/1.4 in order to try and fix the framerate problem, which now recognized my GPU and installed the new firmware (didn't work before).

My current problem is two-fold:
  1. When I turn off the computer everything shuts down except the lights and a second later every fan goes to max RPM and stays on until I hold the power button or turn off the PSU (Did not happen before).
  2. The framerate problem is still there. If I unplug and plug in the DP the 144Hz option is visible but once clicked it immediately reverts to another framerate and disappears.
    Changing the power cable to my monitor fixed this.
Hardware:
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix z490-g (wifi)
RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
CPU: Intel i7 10700KF 3.80GHz
GPU: Geforce GTX 1080ti FE
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850W Gold

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS