[SOLVED] Fans running at full speed despite no apparent overheating.

fred_dijkstra

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Hi everyone!
Since yesterday, all three of my case fans have been running constantly at full speed even when the CPU is idle and registering no temperatures above 30°C (see image). The motherboard utility I've been using to adjust fan speeds doesn't take effect anymore.
From what I could gather, this seems likely to be a problem with the CPU's temperature sensor, but given that I'm never shown any temps above 30, what do you think could be the issue here?
Would a PWM fan control unit do the trick or do I need to get a new CPU/MB altogether?

CPU: i7 - 4790
MB: Gigabyte z97x Gaming 5

Solution
I would think you probably can use a hub of some sort to control the fans. Obviously can't trust motherboard to get it right.
I don't know which would be best or best value, depends on what type of fans they are, have to assume they 4 pin.

fred_dijkstra

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
have you tried using something like speedfan to control the fans?
https://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

It does sound like a sensor has broken, speedfan might be able to identify the problem as it should see all sensors on that board.
Thank you for the suggestion, but as it turns out, the fans don't respond to speedfan either. I tried setting the max speed to 5%, but the RPM didn't change.
However, FanControl shows several CPU temperature sources constantly registering >70°C. As for trying to get manual fan control, no dice here either.

So where do I go from here? Fan control hardware unit?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would think you probably can use a hub of some sort to control the fans. Obviously can't trust motherboard to get it right.
I don't know which would be best or best value, depends on what type of fans they are, have to assume they 4 pin.

Reactions: fred_dijkstra
Solution

fred_dijkstra

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Thank you!

Latest posts