[SOLVED] Fans setup

Aug 28, 2019
Hey ! so I have the ASUS TUF B450M Gaming mobo , and I have 2 Antec Prism 120mm-ARGB fans (and another regular chassi fan), first of all - I only have 2 fans connection so I can't connect my third controller,
but my RGB Connection has 4pins but the RGB connector on the fan side has only 3 holes (he has 4 but one of them is blocked so 3 holes so I can't connect the RGB either !

Solutions ? thanks !

Solution
You can't. As Karadjgne said, the two RGB systems are incompatible, and if you try to connect your ADDR RGB fans lights to the 4-pin mobo plain RGB header, you will burn out your lights!

For LIGHT controls of those two fans you need a different controller OR a different mobo with the correct (ADDR RGB) type of header. Antec sells those fans in a package with their own controller, so you may be able to buy that controller separately. It is a manual-only type of controller. That is, there is no provision to use software for light control, but the box has two buttons on it you can use to change the lighting displays. One changes speed of the display (three choices), and one changes the patterns displayed. There is also an option to make...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
RGB and ARGB are totally different.

RGB pinout is red/ green/ blue/ +12v, so by controlling the amount of voltage through the pins, you get different levels of intensity on the 3 colors which combined make a single color the fan gets.

ARGB is Addressable RGB. The pinout is +5v/ data/ blank/ ground. The colors/sequence etc is already set by the software/controller and the signal is set to the different addresses of the different leds, so each led can be a different color, different effect etc.

The 2 types do not mix. If the controller is 3wire/4pin, it's ARGB not RGB.

There's not many standards when it comes to led lighting, but things are getting better, slowly.

You don't want to put +12v rgb to a +5v argb fan, the leds will fry, quickly.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 28, 2019
RGB and ARGB are totally different.

RGB pinout is red/ green/ blue/ +12v, so by controlling the amount of voltage through the pins, you get different levels of intensity on the 3 colors which combined make a single color the fan gets.

ARGB is Addressable RGB. The pinout is +5v/ data/ blank/ ground. The colors/sequence etc is already set by the software/controller and the signal is set to the different addresses of the different leds, so each led can be a different color, different effect etc.

The 2 types do not mix. If the controller is 3wire/4pin, it's ARGB not RGB.

There's not many standards when it comes to led lighting, but things are getting better, slowly.

You don't want to put +12v rgb to a +5v argb fan, the leds will fry, quickly.

Thank you !
so how can I connect my 2 Antec Prism 120mm ARGB fans to my ASUS TUF-b450m Plus Gaming ?
I only have 1 header of RGB (4pins) on the mobo and 2 fans headers (1 for the rear and 1 for the front, but then I have another fan that I can't connect .. ) ?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can't. As Karadjgne said, the two RGB systems are incompatible, and if you try to connect your ADDR RGB fans lights to the 4-pin mobo plain RGB header, you will burn out your lights!

For LIGHT controls of those two fans you need a different controller OR a different mobo with the correct (ADDR RGB) type of header. Antec sells those fans in a package with their own controller, so you may be able to buy that controller separately. It is a manual-only type of controller. That is, there is no provision to use software for light control, but the box has two buttons on it you can use to change the lighting displays. One changes speed of the display (three choices), and one changes the patterns displayed. There is also an option to make the pattern choice easier to do without being able to reach the control box. You can find the two wires from your case's front panel RESET button and disconnect them from the mobo's Front Panel header. The re-route them and connect them instead to the pins of a particular port on the Antec box. This converts your computer's front panel RESET button to become the RGB lighting pattern chooser. This control box also functions as a 4-pin fan HUB, so you can plug those two Antec fans' motor power connectors into the correct ports and connect a cable from the box to a single mobo CHA_FAN header, allowing that header to control both fans' speeds through the box. Just be sure in BIOS Setup Advanced Mode (see manual p. 2-3) and use the F6 key) that the CHA_FAN header you connect this box to is set to use PWM Mode of control.

Now, power and control of that third "regular chassis fan" depends on whether its connector had THREE holes or FOUR in it. IF it has four holes it is a 4-pin fan and you can also plug it into a fan motor port of the Antec box and it, too, will be speed controlled. BUT if that fan has a 3-hole connector, then you should plug it into the remaining unused mobo CHA_FAN header, then go into BIOS Setup for that header and set it to use the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode) so it can control this fan's speed.

Reactions: itay583
Solution