Question Fans speed no longer respond after Vega?

dehdstar

Honorable
Nov 30, 2017
So, last year I built a whole new PC and gave my wife my previous build.
With my Vega64? On my old PC? I could set the Radeon Settings fan curves such that the fans would run at 50% at 70c. But on my new PC, whether I used my 5700XT, or my even newer 6900XT, non of the fans respond to the changes.
I can even grab the entire fan curve and Max at 100%, so that it's just a straight line across...no go. The fans just run default curves. I've gone into safe mode and clean installed, with older or latest drivers to no avail. If I turn off Advanced Controls and just set the fan to max 100% nothing happens. I have up on it last year, with my 5700 XT and it's weird now that I have a different GPU and fans refuse to leave default curve speeds. The only thing I can think is to just download Afterburner and try doing it that way.

[Edit]

My hardware is as follows:

Windows 10 (latest build 2000-something)
Corsair Vengeance - 64GB
Ryzen 3700X
ASROCK B550M - Steel Edition
RX 6900 XT

I've also tried Afterburner and when I manually specify a static fan speed, like 80%, it reverts back to 0.

Last edited:

dehdstar

Honorable
Nov 30, 2017
It seems I found the issue. I'm a dummy.
While I still have no explanation over my 5700XT and being unable to control the fan speed, it seems this GPU was in quiet mode (BIOS switch). I'm not able to get the fan up well above 642RPM. I knew about the switch but was told that these cards ship in performance mode by default.