[SOLVED] Fans spin and leds light up, but nothing else

Jun 18, 2020
Hi! I’m having problems with my build. Last night I turned my pc off as normal. When I got home today, I tried booting it up. The fans spin and the power lights come on, but I don’t have any video output or power to USB. My keyboard/mouse lights normally come on but they aren’t getting power.

I’ve changed my cmos battery, double checked all my connections, tested the monitor, re-seated my ram, and I can’t think of anything else to do. The mobo and cpu are next on the upgrade list and I’m reading that they could be the problem in my case.

The only recent changes were a new 2tb boot SSD installed ~2 weeks ago without problems. My old SSD randomly failed, but it was almost constantly full and was an old 128gb Samsung if that has any indication.

Specs:

CPU- amd fx 8350
MOBO- msi 970A-G43
RAM- 8gb Corsair vengeance
PSU- Corsair RM750x
GPU- asus gtx 1060 6gb

I’m sorry for my horrible formatting, I’m forced to write this from mobile haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
The current PSU is a primary suspect. Especially if "new" in 2015.

And you do not want to try the old PSU. All the more so if it has been left in an attic (likely hot) where it likely suffered further degradation beyond just normal wear and tear from use.

PSU's do "wear out" and have a designed/built in EOL (End of Life).

I think the starting point is a new PSU, with at least 750 watts and good reviews/quality.,

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that Corsair PSU? Has it been heavily used for gaming, graphics work, or even bit-mining?

Was it new with your build or taken from another computer and reused in your build?

Do you have another known working PSU you can try? Borrow from a family member or friend?

Jun 18, 2020
How old is that Corsair PSU? Has it been heavily used for gaming, graphics work, or even bit-mining?

Was it new with your build or taken from another computer and reused in your build?

Do you have another known working PSU you can try? Borrow from a family member or friend?

All parts for this pc were purchased brand new in December 2015, except the GPU was upgraded in early 2019, storage upgraded less than a month ago. It has been through a few years of gaming.

Also, if it means anything, I did notice my memory usage in control panel was almost always above 50% even just on startup. I have a power supply from a very old system that’s been sitting in the attic for years, I doubt it’s powerful enough to run my pc though

Ralston18

Titan
The current PSU is a primary suspect. Especially if "new" in 2015.

And you do not want to try the old PSU. All the more so if it has been left in an attic (likely hot) where it likely suffered further degradation beyond just normal wear and tear from use.

PSU's do "wear out" and have a designed/built in EOL (End of Life).

I think the starting point is a new PSU, with at least 750 watts and good reviews/quality.,

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Solution