Question fans spin for half a second and stop, continuously

Sep 1, 2020
this happens for EVERY kind of fan in my system, the 80 mm in the back, my 1660 super, cpu cooler, etc.

background info: i was planning on upgrading the gpu and forgot to ddu my previous drivers. when i slotted in my gpu and plugged it in, it booted up to windows just fine for 2 to 3 minutes. i was just sitting on the desktop and it shutdown suddenly. no bsod, no warning, nothing.

attempt to troubleshoot:
i opened it up to notice a sata cable unplugged from the motherboard (gpu fan was right next to it since it was a long card). i plugged the connector into a top slot. the system when i tried to boot would continuously ramp up the fans for a second then stop. it would only stop if i removed the power cable from the back of the computer. i tried to boot with the original card, 1050 ti.. still nothing. removing ram sticks, ssds and hard drives, etc. nothing. this scares me since i use this computer very often for gaming and work.

notes: 6 to 8 pin adapter was used, h8-1430 prebuilt with 512gb a55 ssd and gigabyte gaming oc 1660 super (yes, 11 inches in this mid tower).

Last edited:
this happens for EVERY kind of fan in my system, the 80 mm in the back, my 1660 super, cpu cooler, etc.

background info: i was planning on upgrading the gpu and forgot to ddu my previous drivers. when i slotted in my gpu and plugged it in, it booted up to windows just fine for 2 to 3 minutes. i was just sitting on the desktop and it shutdown suddenly. no bsod, no warning, nothing.

attempt to troubleshoot:
i opened it up to notice a sata cable unplugged from the motherboard (gpu fan was right next to it since it was a long card). i plugged the connector into a top slot. the system when i tried to boot would continuously ramp up the fans for a second then stop. it would only stop if i removed the power cable from the back of the computer. i tried to boot with the original card, 1050 ti.. still nothing. removing ram sticks, ssds and hard drives, etc. nothing. this scares me since i use this computer very often for gaming and work.

notes: 6 to 8 pin adapter was used, h8-1430 prebuilt with 512gb a55 ssd and gigabyte gaming oc 1660 super (yes, 11 inches in this mid tower).
Well, let me tell you about adapters. I'm going to assume your HP came with a 6-pin PCIe cable and that was used for your 1050 ti, correct? Then, you thought you could use an adapter for 6-pin to 8-pin for your new GPU, correct? Here's the problem. The GPU slot provides 75 watts. A 6-pin can provide 75 watts and an 8-pin 150 watts. Using the adapter does not create any extra power. You are giving the GPU less power than it requires. With a proper power supply and 8-pin cable you'd be giving the GPU a total of 225 watts to draw from. With your 'adapted' setup you're only giving it 150 watts. As far as the sata cable goes, I have no idea what you connected it to.

Sep 1, 2020
Well, let me tell you about adapters. I'm going to assume your HP came with a 6-pin PCIe cable and that was used for your 1050 ti, correct? Then, you thought you could use an adapter for 6-pin to 8-pin for your new GPU, correct? Here's the problem. The GPU slot provides 75 watts. A 6-pin can provide 75 watts and an 8-pin 150 watts. Using the adapter does not create any extra power. You are giving the GPU less power than it requires. With a proper power supply and 8-pin cable you'd be giving the GPU a total of 225 watts to draw from. With your 'adapted' setup you're only giving it 150 watts. As far as the sata cable goes, I have no idea what you connected it to.
my gpu has a tdp of 125w so it should've been fine. the sata cable was connected to my ssd. the ssd was my boot drive and is probably the reason why it suddenly crashed with no errors. the system doesn't boot, even with the 1050 ti. i havent figured it out and the 460w psu had enough wattage to support it.