[SOLVED] Fans Spinning Higher Than Normal

BigFattyPlus

Reputable
Nov 27, 2016
For the past two weeks, my cooling fans have been spinning higher than normal when not gaming. I had just cleaned the computer, just in case that was the issue, but they still spin a little higher than normal.

I haven't noticed any performance issues with my computer, but should I be worried? The fans are Corsair RGBs (3 of them). How to I check to see if any settings or updates have changed them? I am very computer illiterate when it comes to the deeper programs that run my computer and suffer from anxiety, so I am always worried when something happens with my computer.

Solution
Have you seen a measured in speed (RPM)? If so, what (roughly) is the difference?

It is very possible that an update to Corsair iCue caused a speed increase.

It's possible that this development is only perceived. How long have you had the PC? If it hasn't been long, you could be experiencing saturation effects--you're paying more attention, spending more time with the system, and thus are more likely to perceive differences in its behavior. Even if those differences don't exist. Basically, you've got a better idea of how your PC acts, and are comparing it to an earlier, thinner understanding.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Have you seen a measured in speed (RPM)? If so, what (roughly) is the difference?

It is very possible that an update to Corsair iCue caused a speed increase.

It's possible that this development is only perceived. How long have you had the PC? If it hasn't been long, you could be experiencing saturation effects--you're paying more attention, spending more time with the system, and thus are more likely to perceive differences in its behavior. Even if those differences don't exist. Basically, you've got a better idea of how your PC acts, and are comparing it to an earlier, thinner understanding.

Solution

BigFattyPlus

Reputable
Nov 27, 2016
How do I measure the rpm? And what is iCue? The fans didn't come with any driver software programs.

I've had the computer for 3 years, but replaced the old fans with Corsair RGBs about a year ago.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
iCue is Corsair's software for managing its devices; fan speeds, lighting colors, etc. I think you have to have it to control the fan colors. That'll show you fan RPM as well. You should be able to set that manually, set a curve, or even just apply a preset to all three fans. You won't know for sure whether the fans are spinning faster than they used to, but as long as temperatures are fine you can set them to be quieter.

BigFattyPlus

Reputable
Nov 27, 2016
I bought the Corsair HD120 RGBs from Best Buy a year ago, and they didn't come with any software to install. How do I know what iCue software to get? Also, is there another way to see what may be causing them to spin faster than normal?

Again, this could be my anxiety talking, but this is really worrying me.