Fans spinning, no output

byteninja2

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Yes I have reset my CMOS so don't use that answer as everybody always does with just reading the title and not the post.

So, my new build is booting the fans, and GPU fan, etc. But nothing is happening. And I don't have a beeper which really sucks. If I really need to, I will go get one but I would prefer to diagnose first. I have reset the CMOS, unplugged all unessential items, and reseated the GPU and RAM. I can almost guarantee that everything works except maybe the board as it's a refurb, and not sure on RAM either BUT I don't think the board has a problem because the Start and Reset and OC button light up, and when I press the MEM OK button the DRAM LED lights up for it which really confuses me because that should only happen when everything is working properly. What should I try? I should note I got some Thermal Paste on the CPU chip but cleaned it off promptly and let it sit for 36 hours. Specs:

Asus Crosshair V Formula
1 x 4 GB Kingston HyperX
FX 6300
HD 4890

byteninja2

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Yes I know, but it's kind of difficult for me to accept that before I use a beeper, on my old build a beeper helped me fix a issue. And I spent a fricking $120 on this board, and it's out of warranty.

If the board was a refurb, it was taken back originally for a reason. The problem may or may not have been fixed. There is a possibility that it wasn't and the board sold to you. I have heard of it happening, but not in the U.S. as there are consumer protection laws to deal with that sort of thing. You can try a beeper as those beeps codes are helpful.

byteninja2

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
It was. And now that Geeks is defunct there is nothing I can do. I doubt the board is messed up because the LEDS are lighting up properly. Though the LEDS that would actually help me, the Q LEDS that is, are not lighting up. Yes, I will get a beeper later today.

byteninja2

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
No, not Geek squad, I seriously doubt they would help. Geeks.com, they are the e-tailer I bought my board from. Also a big issue I think is maybe the BIOS is outdated and needs a older CPU to update.

Couple questions.

Did you try my previous suggestion about using onboard GPU?

Do you have a multimeter? If so you could check the voltages on some of those voltage check markers and see whats up. (Not saying you should go out and buy a multimeter as decent ones can get a bit expensive)

byteninja2

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
PSU is 600W and I only have one stick of Kingston HyperX Red. Anyways, my board is deffinatly shot. No beep at all. I am sending it to Asus for a RMA. I really hope it's the board at least, because I am going throug all this trouble and I don't want it to turn out to be RAM or a old BIOS that doesn't support FX CPUs.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
It's not that easy to wreck a motherboard, I'd say it's the user that is at fault. Refer to the motherboard manufacturer site for specific details for the use of it, the manual is very helpful and should be read before all else fails.
One stick of ram is okay for testig purposes but should a pair or as specified by the manufacturer sgould be the rule of thumb. If the sockets are dualchannellthenuse 2 sticks of ram.