Nov 26, 2019
I built my first computer in September and it was working great, absolutely no problems. Up until this beginning of November when I decided to paint my room. I put the computer in the living room so I could paint. When I put it back in my room and set it up I started having this problem. I turn on the system, fans spin + rgb strips turn on. Sometimes it gives power to the mouse and keyboard and lets me get into bios, but never windows. Sometimes it doesn’t power on the mouse/ keyboard and shows no display at all. I sent my motherboard to MSI through their RMA but I got it back today and I’m having the same issue. Any help on what to do next would be great, this is stressing me out like crazy because I use it for so many different things.

System specs:
Msi b450 tomahawk
Ryzen 5 2600
Msi gtx 1660 ti gaming x
G.skill ripjaws 5 - 2x8gb 3200
Corsair cx750m
Western digital 1tb 3D nand ssd

Solution
The CPU light is on for a reason, the CPU or it's memory controller may be shot, little to do but see if someone has aCPU that fits your board to test or get a new one. Unlikely to be the GPU as you were getting a bios screen.
Nov 26, 2019
Make and age of the PSU, do any other Mobo lights go on like for RAM? I would remove and reseat the RAM sticks and make sure your SATA connections are properly seated.
When I get into the bios it recognizes both ram sticks and the motherboard hasn’t showed any other lights other than cpu. The psu is the old Corsair cx750m one that I had put in an old computer along with a gpu. I tried completely tearing down the system and redoing all connections. The ssd is recognized in the bios and is set to boot from it. I was thinking either psu or cpu but I need some guidance because I don’t have money to throw away for something that isn’t the problem.

OK lets work through this....What we know is that your MoBo is ok, the RAM is there and it is unlikely to be the gpu as you are not even getting into Windows and you have a Bios display. That CPU is unlikely to break sitting in it's socket moved from 1 room to the other.

Some times the keyboard and mouse light up and sometimes not...... I would say the old PSU did not like being unplugged and has a current stability problem and is unable to give the power to boot. Can you source an alternative PSU to try out?

Reactions: Sacred777
Nov 26, 2019
OK lets work through this....What we know is that your MoBo is ok, the RAM is there and it is unlikely to be the gpu as you are not even getting into Windows and you have a Bios display. That CPU is unlikely to break sitting in it's socket moved from 1 room to the other.

Some times the keyboard and mouse light up and sometimes not...... I would say the old PSU did not like being unplugged and has a current stability problem and is unable to give the power to boot. Can you source an alternative PSU to try out?
I’m going to order a new psu because I’d like to have a new one even if that isn’t the problem, if that’s not the problem I’m going to send my gpu in to msi I guess. This computer is turning into a huge money pit :(

Nov 26, 2019
I installed a new power supply, same issue. Can’t get it into the bios at all anymore. Red cpu light on motherboard sometimes when I turn it on. Sometimes it doesn’t come on until I shut it off. Should I try buying a replacement cpu or try sending in my gpu to MSi next?