[SOLVED] Fans starting up then immediately stopping on my GPU

erikaebarta

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
I have a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G. I removed the panel from my PC today and started hearing a strange noise, after investigation I realized the fan on the GPU starts up then after a second completely stops. I started monitoring the temps, at boot the GPU is at 40C then slowly climbs up to 55-56C, then the fan kicks in, then it stops. It's in idle (on desktop), I use 144 hz in nvidia control panel, but I don't think 1440p 144 hz should tax a 107 Ti. But the largest problem is still is this stupid fan curve, how can I solve this? The sound is quiet enough that I can only heard it with the side panel off, so I don't know how long this issue has been happening, also today I reinstalled windows, if that could have anything to do with it.

Solution
I have a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G. I removed the panel from my PC today and started hearing a strange noise, after investigation I realized the fan on the GPU starts up then after a second completely stops. I started monitoring the temps, at boot the GPU is at 40C then slowly climbs up to 55-56C, then the fan kicks in, then it stops. It's in idle (on desktop), I use 144 hz in nvidia control panel, but I don't think 1440p 144 hz should tax a 107 Ti. But the largest problem is still is this stupid fan curve, how can I solve this? The sound is quiet enough that I can only heard it with the side panel off, so I don't know how long this issue has been happening, also today I reinstalled windows, if that could have anything to do...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G. I removed the panel from my PC today and started hearing a strange noise, after investigation I realized the fan on the GPU starts up then after a second completely stops. I started monitoring the temps, at boot the GPU is at 40C then slowly climbs up to 55-56C, then the fan kicks in, then it stops. It's in idle (on desktop), I use 144 hz in nvidia control panel, but I don't think 1440p 144 hz should tax a 107 Ti. But the largest problem is still is this stupid fan curve, how can I solve this? The sound is quiet enough that I can only heard it with the side panel off, so I don't know how long this issue has been happening, also today I reinstalled windows, if that could have anything to do with it.
Normal.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N107TGAMING-8GD#kf

3D ACTIVE FAN WITH LED INDICATORS
The 3D Active Fan provides semi-passive cooling, the fans will remain off when the GPU is under a set loading or temperature for low power gaming. It allows gamers to enjoy gameplay in complete silence when the system is running light or idle. The LED fan indicator on the top of the graphics card provides an instant display of the fan status.

You can try MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve then check the box to make it active when the PC boots.

Reactions: erikaebarta
Solution

erikaebarta

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
Normal.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N107TGAMING-8GD#kf

3D ACTIVE FAN WITH LED INDICATORS
The 3D Active Fan provides semi-passive cooling, the fans will remain off when the GPU is under a set loading or temperature for low power gaming. It allows gamers to enjoy gameplay in complete silence when the system is running light or idle. The LED fan indicator on the top of the graphics card provides an instant display of the fan status.

You can try MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve then check the box to make it active when the PC boots.
Thanks for your reply, after thinkering a bit in MSI afterburner I made the fan curve so it will be around 48C idle with 800 RPM constant spinning. Is this configuration more healhty for the fans than constantly turning on and off? Also, as the websites show, the Active fan "technology" should cool it down to 30 C or whatever, then turn off the fan, not constantly turn it on and off with 1 degree difference.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS