Question Fans too loud on a startup (full power)

May 25, 2020
Hi everyone,

you all probably think this is just another guy asking for loud fans on a startup when he clearly has a dust or bad bearing..

I am afraid this might not be the case. It happened a year ago, I was fooling around with manual overclocking of my 2700X and my pc crashed (for bad settings which were identical to the ones a famous youtuber did on his video) and after that when I turned on my pc the fans were going full power until the BIOS load and windows screen shows up, all in total for about 6 seconds..the cooler is Corsair Hydro 110i and there is nothing wrong with it or with the fans, also the computer is clean as whistle.

When I open Hardware monitor my voltage is going from 1.3 to 1.5 jumping up and down all the time. In my BIOS everything is set to normal, fans are working normal, cpu voltage is working normal, temperature is around 38C. Everything is normal except the fans which are clearly showing me that something is messed up.

The behaviour is similar to one when you install bad drivers on your laptop and vents are going crazy on a startup, except I did not install bad drivers and my bios is updated to the latest version, I also reset the bios once and I reinstall windows after that a couple of times. The fans are going crazy for 6 seconds every time no matter what I do (even putting power options to Ryzen balanced). The screws of the cooler on cpu are tight as well.

In smart fan (BIOS) the starting point of the fans is 38% on diagram and it goes up to 100% at 80C.

Everything shows normal values even in Ryzen Master the voltage of the cpu is 1.225 so not sure why is the voltage always 1.3 - 1.5 in the Hardware monitor. Also in Bios I can not change Dynamic Voltage.

I did overclocked the cpu with precision boost overdrive. Anyways, this pc is my secondary pc and I would really like to figure this out.

Any idea what might cause the fans going crazy on a startup?

Thanks in advance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Power plan should be balanced, I don't care what that famous youtuber says on that subject.

Use HWInfo (sensors only) and Ryzen master for your pc, none of the others are accurate or reliable.

At windows idle, if you have a reset button, push it, if not just hold the power button until it shuts off, don't use windows shutdown. This'll force the bios to retrain everything from scratch, no prior drivers will be loaded, no prior settings other than what's manually set. There's multiple hidden settings in bios (not cmos) that get changed during manual OC as those settings are auto calibrated. But being at a higher setting, if you drop the OC, the settings remain sometimes as they are still viable.

Even though you backed out of the OC, whatever was changed seems to have remained, the fans should only spin up enough to cover bios temps, not max speed

Reactions: biber2020

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If I read you post correctly, the issue is that all fans always start up at full speed, but then reduce to much slower after about 6 sec. That is NORMAL, and maybe you just never noticed before. Almost all mobos start all fans at full speed to be sure they start. After a few seconds as the POST process is nearly finished the system has a chance to actually read the temperature sensors and decide what the correct fan speeds should be, and reduces them at that time.

May 25, 2020
Power plan should be balanced, I don't care what that famous youtuber says on that subject.

Use HWInfo (sensors only) and Ryzen master for your pc, none of the others are accurate or reliable.

At windows idle, if you have a reset button, push it, if not just hold the power button until it shuts off, don't use windows shutdown. This'll force the bios to retrain everything from scratch, no prior drivers will be loaded, no prior settings other than what's manually set. There's multiple hidden settings in bios (not cmos) that get changed during manual OC as those settings are auto calibrated. But being at a higher setting, if you drop the OC, the settings remain sometimes as they are still viable.

Even though you backed out of the OC, whatever was changed seems to have remained, the fans should only spin up enough to cover bios temps, not max speed
I agree with all that you said, I pushed the reset button but it did not help. When I open Ryzen master the voltage is jumping from 1.3 - 1.51. The only way I can fix the voltage is if I choose a profile and than manual voltage.

This fan noise is annoying as hell. Regarding the other replies saying that it is normal, sorry buddy it is not.. I was using pc a couple of months with Ultimate power plan and fans were not this loud on startup. The error is hidden somewhere caused by OC.

TRENDING THREADS