Question Fans turn on, then power turns off after 30 seconds ?

Ryan_222

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
I've read through countless forum threads already. I'll try to be as descriptive as I can be in the main body post.

Basically what it says in title: I click the power button, the light flashes white, then the fans whir. The monitor does not turn on nor register that there's a signal, then after 30 or so seconds then PC loses power (the fans stop spinning), then it starts again.

This problem occurred after I attempted to replace the CPU and connect an SSD. I have since gone back to using the old CPU and disconnected the SSD. Would either of these cause this issue?

My power supply is connected to everything it is supposed to be. My HDMI cable is connected from my graphics card to my monitor. I've taken my ram out multiple times, wiped it down, and placed it back in.

I am seriously concerned that, while attempting to replace the CPU and connect the SSD, I short circuited my motherboard. What is the easiest/quickest way for me to check if I've done so? If I have, will it be possible to recover it?

I tested unplugging everything else except the PSU, Ram, CPU, and CPU fan, and the problem persisted. I'm told this indicates that it could be a motherboard issue?

Again: this problem occurred after I opened up the PC to attempt to replace the CPU and connect an SSD. If there's an alternate explanation, I would be unbelievably grateful if someone can offer me one to test, because I do not want to have to replace my entire setup.

Specs:
Motherboard: H97 Anniversary Edition
PSU: EVGA 500B1
CPU: Intel i5-4460
GPU: Geforce GTX 1050Ti

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022
Are your fans connected to the psu or directly to motherboard headers?
Do you have a multimeter or power supply tester available?
Silly question, but you applied thermal paste after replacing your cpu, right?

You said you went back to your old cpu and removed the new ssd. Does your system post and boot into windows when you revert back?

Is the Intel i5-4460 your new cpu you're trying to install or the original cpu you had installed before attempting to upgrade?

Ryan_222

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
No question is too silly! I built this PC 7 years ago and forgot everything.

All fans are turning on (graphics card, CPU, external) and they're connected in a variety of ways to the PSU (indirectly/directly).

I do not have a multimeter or a PSU supply tester available. I understand both are ways to test PSU capacity: how easy is it to get one from a Best Buy? Although I'd love to believe that it's a PSU issue, I want to again reemphasize that the issue did not pop up until after I opened my computer and fiddled with somethings inside of it without properly grounding myself, so I'm assuming it's unlikely my old-ass PSU picked that moment to die on me. Additionally, the problem persisted when I ran the test with only PSU/CPU/Ram, indicating that it didn't seem like the PSU didn't have enough power to sustain higher level system functions.

I DID NOT APPLY THERMAL PASTE! Is that a mistake I can rectify? To be clear I managed to buy a CPU that was not compatible with my motherboard, so I tried to apply it, realized that it didn't fit, took it off, and then put my old CPU back on. Is overheating the issue? I'm rocking the default Intel CPU fan but it seems to be pretty decent. I haven't reapplied thermal paste in 7 years, so do you think that reapplying now will make a difference?

By the time I had removed the SSD I was already experiencing this issue.

The Intel i5-4460 is the old CPU I had installed before attempting to upgrade.

Thank you so much btw.

Jul 6, 2022
I DID NOT APPLY THERMAL PASTE! Is that a mistake I can rectify?

Yes, you can rectify that.

Take off the cpu fan and heat sink.
Use some isopropyl alcohol and clean wipe your cpu and the bottom of your heat sink
Reapply fresh thermal paste onto cpu and install heatsink securely.

You might not have reapplied thermal paste in 7 years, but when you've gone to replace your cpu, you've broken the seal and stopped efficient heat transfer from cpu to heatsink.

I would perform this step first. Afterwards I would check 12v 5v and 3.3v coming from power supply and confirm proper power is being delivered to all components.

Ryan_222

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
I applied thermal paste to the CPU. I tested PSU and everything was fine. Then, I tested the computer again and it now fails to turn on.

Should I just go ahead and purchase a new motherboard?