[SOLVED] Fans with MOLEX!?

May 18, 2020
Hi all!
Long time reader, first time question-asker here!
I recently bought some budget fans to cool my son's gaming rig (His skills top out at Minecraft and Roblox). I didn't need anything high powered or expensive so I went with some color ring AZDIY-Fab fans with a Deepcool hub to chain them all together. Thing is these fans have both 3 pin and molex. I know to only plug in one, not both unless I want to blow my motherboard to kingdom come, but what I want to know is:

CAN I CUT OFF THESE DAMN MOLEX CONNECTORS?

They make cable management a nightmare. So can I cut them off and cap the wires with some non conductive glue so they don't short? I am confident in my pc building skills, but I've never had to cut cables before and I would rather not cook my hardware.

These are the connectors I am dealing with.

Solution
The motherboard should be able to control the voltage through just the 3 pin and you can cut the molex off. Test it first with just one fan to know if your motherboard can do it.
May 18, 2020
Test one fan with just the 3 pin to see if it works. The molex might be there just to run the fan at full speed if you want that. If it runs just fine at the intended speed you’re looking for with just the 3 pin then cutting the molex off shouldn’t do any harm.

May 18, 2020
Test one fan with just the 3 pin to see if it works. The molex might be there just to run the fan at full speed if you want that. If it runs just fine at the intended speed you’re looking for with just the 3 pin then cutting the molex off shouldn’t do any harm.
The Amazon ad states:
"IMPORTANT NOTE: Use ONLY One Type of Power Connection at a time. You may short circuit your motherboard if you connect both connectors at a time. "
The fans do run on just 3 pin. I just didn't want to chop off the molex and ruin all my fans until I got confirmation from someone who knows more than I do that it is safe to do so.

May 18, 2020
The motherboard should be able to control the voltage through just the 3 pin and you can cut the molex off. Test it first with just one fan to know if your motherboard can do it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS