Question Fans work intermintably

duckblind

Prominent
Oct 31, 2021
A friend ( our IT guy at work ) built a new system for me and now having problems that I can't figure out.
I have 3 Antek Prism fans that work sometimes. On startup, they all light up and the fans are spinning. However,
after startup they will all 3 work or 1 will work or none will work. I don't have any other fans to replace them
to see if the same problems occur with different fans. Any suggestions?

First, you should at least list up what hardware you computer i built on.

Also, you should list up all relevant (bios) settings for fan speed that may be relevant for this issue.

And equal important: Are this issue only present after Windows have booted up? If so - what software settings for fan speed ?

duckblind

Prominent
Oct 31, 2021
I should mention that I can't get into the BIOS. On power up goes directly to the login screen bypassing the POST screen.
Using the Gigabyte app center shows that the BIOS is up to date. Just booted and all 3 Antec fans are lit but not
spinning. The CPU cooler fans is lit and running as are the 3 front fans included with the case.

System
intel i5 11600k
GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE AX
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 G1 Gaming 2G
SK hynix Gold P31 500GB
SK hynix Gold P31 1 tb
Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 32GB
Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3
Antec Prizm X RGB Fans x 3
Antec Dark League DF600 FLUX case

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
From your post I expect that the three Antec fans are case ventilation fans and all are connected to FAN ports on the Hub they came with. You should ensure that at least one of them is plugged into Fan Port #1, because that is likely the only one that will send its fan's speed signal back to the mobo SYS_FAN header.

Your problem may be a detail of how the mobo SYS_FAN header used for this Hub is configured. You have three such headers (see your mobo manual, p. 15, Key No. 4). Identify the one that has a cable from it to the PWM /LED port of the Hub.

Now, you need to get into BIOS Setup and make adjustments, and you're already having a problem there. The manual says you can get in by using the Del key, but that's not a complete story. I find that the system, busy as it is during initial start-up, can miss "seeing" that key press. So my habit is this: push the front panel power button and immediately push and HOLD DOWN the DEL key until the BIOS Setup opening screen (manual p. 26) shows up. There use the F6 key to jump to the Smart Fan 6 screens (p. 27). At upper left select the particular SYS_FAN header you are using, then check / adjust these items.

Fan Speed Control to Normal
Fan Control Use Temperature Input to System 1, not CPU
Fan / Pump Control Mode to PWM, not Auto or Voltage, to ensure it sends out the PWM signal the Hub needs
Fan / Pump Stop DISabled - you do not want the fans to stop
Fan / Pump Fail Warning to ENabled so it will send you a warning of the fan on Port #1 of the Hub fails. You MAY have an option to set the minimum speed that will trigger a failure warning.

When you have all your adjustments made, use the Esc key to return to Main Menu, then the F10 key to get to the Exit Menu (p. 43). There choose Save and Exit Setup to save your new settings and reboot.

I would hope that these settings will get all those fans working under automatic control and never stopping. IF they continue to stop randomly at low workloads (and hence low cooling needs) You MAY have to use a different setting for Fan Speed Control and create your own custom fan speed "Curve" that will not let the fans go too slow at low cooling temperatures. But for now, just do as above and see if that works.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS