FAO the MS-MVP's/fax post sp2 update

I have no idea what MS-MVP's mean/are but you all seem experts at
windows/fax/printer problems. Alot of people seem to have problems
installing the fax component after xp sp2. I found this solution and
wondered whether you could check it out, it certainly worked for me:

Click on the Windows Start Menu.
2. Click Run.

3. Type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb

but then microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/

tells us only to use it as a last resort?

As far as the fax service is concerned, the issue is still being
investigated. There are no supported solutions at this time. Could you
provide detail on which problem you were having?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have no idea what MS-MVP's mean/are but you all seem experts at
>windows/fax/printer problems. Alot of people seem to have problems
>installing the fax component after xp sp2. I found this solution and
>wondered whether you could check it out, it certainly worked for me:
>
> Click on the Windows Start Menu.
> 2. Click Run.
>
> 3. Type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb
>
> but then microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/
>
> tells us only to use it as a last resort?

You did read the post didn't you :) I haven't got a problem, I fixed it,
but I don't know whether it was the right fix as microsoft say use it as a
last resort

The problem is this one:

the fax won't install, it either says insert xp disc (but most people have
it preinstalled, and the files are already in the c:\i386 folder), or if you
get pass that you get the "ghost" fax where it's there for a split second
and then disappears.

Thanks

> As far as the fax service is concerned, the issue is still being
> investigated. There are no supported solutions at this time. Could you
> provide detail on which problem you were having?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have no idea what MS-MVP's mean/are but you all seem experts at
>>windows/fax/printer problems. Alot of people seem to have problems
>>installing the fax component after xp sp2. I found this solution and
>>wondered whether you could check it out, it certainly worked for me:
>>
>> Click on the Windows Start Menu.
>> 2. Click Run.
>>
>> 3. Type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb
>>
>> but then microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/
>>
>> tells us only to use it as a last resort?

I read the post. You provided no information that explains how this is
related to SP2, nor the steps you used, the outcomes and the error messages
you received.
Still haven't.
--
> You did read the post didn't you :) I haven't got a problem, I fixed it,
> but I don't know whether it was the right fix as microsoft say use it as a
> last resort
>

> The problem is this one:
>
> the fax won't install, it either says insert xp disc (but most people have
> it preinstalled, and the files are already in the c:\i386 folder), or if
> you get pass that you get the "ghost" fax where it's there for a split
> second and then disappears.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> As far as the fax service is concerned, the issue is still being
>> investigated. There are no supported solutions at this time. Could you
>> provide detail on which problem you were having?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I have no idea what MS-MVP's mean/are but you all seem experts at
>>>windows/fax/printer problems. Alot of people seem to have problems
>>>installing the fax component after xp sp2. I found this solution and
>>>wondered whether you could check it out, it certainly worked for me:
>>>
>>> Click on the Windows Start Menu.
>>> 2. Click Run.
>>>
>>> 3. Type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb
>>>
>>> but then microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/
>>>
>>> tells us only to use it as a last resort?

alright calm down, the MICROSOFT WEBPAGE LINK which I gave TWICE says:
"SYMPTOMS
When you try to add a Windows component after you first install Microsoft
Windows XP, you cannot add the component, and you may receive a message that
is similar to the following:
Files Needed
The file 'file_name' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed.
Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.
This problem occurs even though the file already exists in the
C:\Windows\I386 folder"

I'm not bothered, I fixed mine, just trying to help others, "You provided no
information that explains how this is
related to SP2, nor the steps you used, the outcomes and the error messages
you received." The link showed the exact problems I had, funnily enough
that's why I posted it, twice. Just forget it, if your going to funny I
can't be bothered.

>I read the post. You provided no information that explains how this is
>related to SP2, nor the steps you used, the outcomes and the error messages
>you received.
> Still haven't.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> You did read the post didn't you :) I haven't got a problem, I fixed
>> it, but I don't know whether it was the right fix as microsoft say use it
>> as a last resort
>>

>> The problem is this one:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/
>>
>> the fax won't install, it either says insert xp disc (but most people
>> have it preinstalled, and the files are already in the c:\i386 folder),
>> or if you get pass that you get the "ghost" fax where it's there for a
>> split second and then disappears.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> As far as the fax service is concerned, the issue is still being
>>> investigated. There are no supported solutions at this time. Could you
>>> provide detail on which problem you were having?
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

I was simply trying to clarify whether you were really having the problem
we've been trying to solve with SP2.
It appears you do not.
I did not want anyone to be mislead that this might be a solution for the
problem you claim to address in your subject.
--
> alright calm down, the MICROSOFT WEBPAGE LINK which I gave TWICE says:
> "SYMPTOMS
> When you try to add a Windows component after you first install Microsoft
> Windows XP, you cannot add the component, and you may receive a message
> that is similar to the following:
> Files Needed
> The file 'file_name' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed.
> Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.
> This problem occurs even though the file already exists in the
> C:\Windows\I386 folder"
>
> I'm not bothered, I fixed mine, just trying to help others, "You provided
> no information that explains how this is
> related to SP2, nor the steps you used, the outcomes and the error
> messages you received." The link showed the exact problems I had, funnily
> enough that's why I posted it, twice. Just forget it, if your going to
> funny I can't be bothered.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>I read the post. You provided no information that explains how this is
>>related to SP2, nor the steps you used, the outcomes and the error
>>messages you received.
>> Still haven't.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> You did read the post didn't you :) I haven't got a problem, I fixed
>>> it, but I don't know whether it was the right fix as microsoft say use
>>> it as a last resort
>>>

>>> The problem is this one:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/
>>>
>>> the fax won't install, it either says insert xp disc (but most people
>>> have it preinstalled, and the files are already in the c:\i386 folder),
>>> or if you get pass that you get the "ghost" fax where it's there for a
>>> split second and then disappears.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message

Hi Russ & David, I have exactly the same problem. I went to the control
panel->add/remove programs->ad/remove windows components and tried to load
the fax software but it does seem to be there at all.

The funny part is that it was there earlier, when I was using office 2000. I
installed office 2003 and it seems to have dissappeared.

Please help??
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I was simply trying to clarify whether you were really having the problem
> we've been trying to solve with SP2.
> It appears you do not.
> I did not want anyone to be mislead that this might be a solution for the
> problem you claim to address in your subject.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > alright calm down, the MICROSOFT WEBPAGE LINK which I gave TWICE says:
> > "SYMPTOMS
> > When you try to add a Windows component after you first install Microsoft
> > Windows XP, you cannot add the component, and you may receive a message
> > that is similar to the following:
> > Files Needed
> > The file 'file_name' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed.
> > Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.
> > This problem occurs even though the file already exists in the
> > C:\Windows\I386 folder"
> >
> > I'm not bothered, I fixed mine, just trying to help others, "You provided
> > no information that explains how this is
> > related to SP2, nor the steps you used, the outcomes and the error
> > messages you received." The link showed the exact problems I had, funnily
> > enough that's why I posted it, twice. Just forget it, if your going to
> > funny I can't be bothered.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >>I read the post. You provided no information that explains how this is
> >>related to SP2, nor the steps you used, the outcomes and the error
> >>messages you received.
> >> Still haven't.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Explain in more detail what you are doing and what happens.
Your Office version would not be in play here.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Russ & David, I have exactly the same problem. I went to the control
> panel->add/remove programs->ad/remove windows components and tried to load
> the fax software but it does seem to be there at all.
>
> The funny part is that it was there earlier, when I was using office 2000.
> installed office 2003 and it seems to have dissappeared.
>
> Please help??
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I was simply trying to clarify whether you were really having the problem
>> we've been trying to solve with SP2.
>> It appears you do not.
>> I did not want anyone to be mislead that this might be a solution for the
>> problem you claim to address in your subject.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > alright calm down, the MICROSOFT WEBPAGE LINK which I gave TWICE says:
>> > "SYMPTOMS
>> > When you try to add a Windows component after you first install
>> > Microsoft
>> > Windows XP, you cannot add the component, and you may receive a message
>> > that is similar to the following:
>> > Files Needed
>> > The file 'file_name' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed.
>> > Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.
>> > This problem occurs even though the file already exists in the
>> > C:\Windows\I386 folder"
>> >
>> > I'm not bothered, I fixed mine, just trying to help others, "You
>> > provided
>> > no information that explains how this is
>> > related to SP2, nor the steps you used, the outcomes and the error
>> > messages you received." The link showed the exact problems I had,
>> > funnily
>> > enough that's why I posted it, twice. Just forget it, if your going to
>> > funny I can't be bothered.
>> >
>> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message

Russ, thank you for responsing.
I have been using my windows fax which was showing up as an option when I
clicked on the print button.

Now I find that the fax option is not there. I don't exactly remember at
what point it did the dissappearing act, probably after I uninstalled my old
Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 but I am not sure.

So now I went to Control panel->add/remove programs->add/remove windows
components. I check the box (which was unchecked) for fax service and click
next. This should have installed the fax but doesn't. It asks for the CD-ROM,
which I don't have as the PC was pre-installed.

(I have a very inquisitive 4 year old son who might have done something at
some time but I can't be sure).

Achyut

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Explain in more detail what you are doing and what happens.
> Your Office version would not be in play here.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ & David, I have exactly the same problem. I went to the control
> > panel->add/remove programs->ad/remove windows components and tried to load
> > the fax software but it does seem to be there at all.
> >
> > The funny part is that it was there earlier, when I was using office 2000.
> > installed office 2003 and it seems to have dissappeared.
> >
> > Please help??
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> I was simply trying to clarify whether you were really having the problem
> >> we've been trying to solve with SP2.
> >> It appears you do not.
> >> I did not want anyone to be mislead that this might be a solution for the
> >> problem you claim to address in your subject.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "DAVID MURPHY" <dm007e4474@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when the
files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a search
for the files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll
and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
fxcfgwz.dl_.
Can you find these?
--
> Russ, thank you for responsing.
> I have been using my windows fax which was showing up as an option when I
> clicked on the print button.
>
> Now I find that the fax option is not there. I don't exactly remember at
> what point it did the dissappearing act, probably after I uninstalled my
> old
> Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 but I am not sure.
>
> So now I went to Control panel->add/remove programs->add/remove windows
> components. I check the box (which was unchecked) for fax service and
> click
> next. This should have installed the fax but doesn't. It asks for the
> CD-ROM,
> which I don't have as the PC was pre-installed.
>
> (I have a very inquisitive 4 year old son who might have done something at
> some time but I can't be sure).
>
> Achyut
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Explain in more detail what you are doing and what happens.
>> Your Office version would not be in play here.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Russ & David, I have exactly the same problem. I went to the control
>> > panel->add/remove programs->ad/remove windows components and tried to
>> > load
>> > the fax software but it does seem to be there at all.
>> >
>> > The funny part is that it was there earlier, when I was using office
>> > 2000.
>> > installed office 2003 and it seems to have dissappeared.
>> >
>> > Please help??

Hi, I found the file"fxsapi.dl_" but not the one called"fxcfgwz.dl_"

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
> files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
> that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when the
> files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a search
> for the files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll
> and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
> fxcfgwz.dl_.
> Can you find these?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Russ, thank you for responsing.
> > I have been using my windows fax which was showing up as an option when I
> > clicked on the print button.
> >
> > Now I find that the fax option is not there. I don't exactly remember at
> > what point it did the dissappearing act, probably after I uninstalled my
> > old
> > Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 but I am not sure.
> >
> > So now I went to Control panel->add/remove programs->add/remove windows
> > components. I check the box (which was unchecked) for fax service and
> > click
> > next. This should have installed the fax but doesn't. It asks for the
> > CD-ROM,
> > which I don't have as the PC was pre-installed.
> >
> > (I have a very inquisitive 4 year old son who might have done something at
> > some time but I can't be sure).
> >
> > Achyut
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Explain in more detail what you are doing and what happens.
> >> Your Office version would not be in play here.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Several people have successfully fixed this problem with this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

"This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=891986&ref=AI&ct=SB&IL=EN&QS=can't+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional

The hotfix listed in the first article may resolve the issue also, however,
I've not yet seen any posts that say it does.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

> Hi, I found the file"fxsapi.dl_" but not the one called"fxcfgwz.dl_"
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary
installation
> > files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually
means
> > that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when
the
> > files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a
search
> > for the files that the installation routine claims are missing
(fxsapi.dll
> > and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
> > fxcfgwz.dl_.
> > Can you find these?
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Russ, thank you for responsing.
> > > I have been using my windows fax which was showing up as an option
when I
> > > clicked on the print button.
> > >
> > > Now I find that the fax option is not there. I don't exactly remember
at
> > > what point it did the dissappearing act, probably after I uninstalled
my
> > > old
> > > Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 but I am not sure.
> > >
> > > So now I went to Control panel->add/remove programs->add/remove
windows
> > > components. I check the box (which was unchecked) for fax service and
> > > click
> > > next. This should have installed the fax but doesn't. It asks for the
> > > CD-ROM,
> > > which I don't have as the PC was pre-installed.
> > >
> > > (I have a very inquisitive 4 year old son who might have done
something at
> > > some time but I can't be sure).
> > >
> > > Achyut

Where did you find it? Your OEM is responsible for providing your access to
these files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I found the file"fxsapi.dl_" but not the one called"fxcfgwz.dl_"
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary
>> installation
>> files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually
>> means
>> that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when
>> the
>> files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a
>> search
>> for the files that the installation routine claims are missing
>> (fxsapi.dll
>> and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
>> fxcfgwz.dl_.
>> Can you find these?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Russ, thank you for responsing.
>> > I have been using my windows fax which was showing up as an option when
>> > clicked on the print button.
>> >
>> > Now I find that the fax option is not there. I don't exactly remember
>> > at
>> > what point it did the dissappearing act, probably after I uninstalled
>> > my
>> > old
>> > Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 but I am not sure.
>> >
>> > So now I went to Control panel->add/remove programs->add/remove windows
>> > components. I check the box (which was unchecked) for fax service and
>> > click
>> > next. This should have installed the fax but doesn't. It asks for the
>> > CD-ROM,
>> > which I don't have as the PC was pre-installed.
>> >
>> > (I have a very inquisitive 4 year old son who might have done something
>> > at
>> > some time but I can't be sure).
>> >
>> > Achyut

As I said before, the fax was working fine before, so all relevant files must
have been there earlier. The fax is not working now as explained before. This
query session I started was only to find out if there is some way to recover
the program.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Where did you find it? Your OEM is responsible for providing your access to
> these files.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I found the file"fxsapi.dl_" but not the one called"fxcfgwz.dl_"
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary
> >> installation
> >> files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually
> >> means
> >> that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when
> >> the
> >> files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a
> >> search
> >> for the files that the installation routine claims are missing
> >> (fxsapi.dll
> >> and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
> >> fxcfgwz.dl_.
> >> Can you find these?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

There are several reasons these installations fail (and many have no
solutions).
The exact steps that reproduced your problem are essential in trying to
troubleshoot it. For example, what was the original source of the
installation files? How did you originally install the Fax program? What
changes did you make to your system between the time you first installed fax
and this time? What steps are you using to try to install fax and what
happens when you try?
The steps Hal has posted only apply to installation failures brought on by
the interval installation of SP2. Other causes have other solutions.
--
> As I said before, the fax was working fine before, so all relevant files
> must
> have been there earlier. The fax is not working now as explained before.
> This
> query session I started was only to find out if there is some way to
> recover
> the program.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Where did you find it? Your OEM is responsible for providing your access
>> these files.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I found the file"fxsapi.dl_" but not the one called"fxcfgwz.dl_"

The software was preinstalled by the OEM and I can't remember the exact
chronology of events. I don't recall any changes made in the system.
Thanks anyway, for your time.
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> There are several reasons these installations fail (and many have no
> solutions).
> The exact steps that reproduced your problem are essential in trying to
> troubleshoot it. For example, what was the original source of the
> installation files? How did you originally install the Fax program? What
> changes did you make to your system between the time you first installed fax
> and this time? What steps are you using to try to install fax and what
> happens when you try?
> The steps Hal has posted only apply to installation failures brought on by
> the interval installation of SP2. Other causes have other solutions.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As I said before, the fax was working fine before, so all relevant files
> > must
> > have been there earlier. The fax is not working now as explained before.
> > This
> > query session I started was only to find out if there is some way to
> > recover
> > the program.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Where did you find it? Your OEM is responsible for providing your access
> >> these files.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Achyut" <Achyut@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Just for final clarification for anyone who may get confused by this and