[SOLVED] Far Cry (2004) outdoor floor textures and water not displayed (black)

TechBloke

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2016
Hi all. I have an old laptop that I am setting up for my little nephew to play some retro games. Spec is windows xp sp3, Pentium M 16.ghz (internal graphics), 512mb ram, directx 9c and updated graphic drivers Far Cry appears to run with all settings set to low but annoyingly the outdoor floor and water textures are black and not displayed correctly. Am I correct in assuming there are certain graphic functions in the chip not available? I do have a plan to upgrade to 2gb ram (max it will take) so maybe that will help? The game has been patched to 1.4 (other patches....same issue). Thanks.

Solution
Ok keith12, thanks for the prompt answer! Will report back if I can find a solution. I was suprised the game even loaded and ran to be honest!
Yeah, hope something can be done.

You'd be surprised what those Intel iGPU's can do. I used to have an Asus A55 laptop with an i7 3630qm, a decent enough laptop CPU. It had the Intel HD 4000, which in my mind was a piece of junk, even as an integrated GPU! However, after looking into it, much as you are now, I was able to configure it to play BF3! :). I got it at 60fps average, with lots of tinkering with settings, but mainly at medium quality! Keep the faith!
Intel GPUs became usable in games somewhere from HD4000. Laptop you mentioned have 855GM or GM950 something - a way too low for GPU demanding (for begin of 2000-ies) game like first Far Cry. Get computer with a bit better GPU for this game.

Ok keith12, thanks for the prompt answer! Will report back if I can find a solution. I was suprised the game even loaded and ran to be honest!
Yeah, hope something can be done.

You'd be surprised what those Intel iGPU's can do. I used to have an Asus A55 laptop with an i7 3630qm, a decent enough laptop CPU. It had the Intel HD 4000, which in my mind was a piece of junk, even as an integrated GPU! However, after looking into it, much as you are now, I was able to configure it to play BF3! :). I got it at 60fps average, with lots of tinkering with settings, but mainly at medium quality! Keep the faith!

Reactions: TechBloke
Solution
You'd be surprised what those Intel iGPU's can do. I used to have an Asus A55 laptop with an i7 3630qm, a decent enough laptop CPU. It had the Intel HD 4000...

Exactly - you had HD4000 iGPU. Laptop he mentioned have Intel Banias CPU (Celeron M) and 855GM or 855GME chipset with built in GPU. Very generic iGPUs capable to drive basic OpenGL graphics. Games of that era like Far Cry or Halo was over their capabilities and maximum you can get with those iGPUs is surfaces without textures.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead