Far cry 3 lagging on ATI Radeon HD 5450

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigerman55

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I recently tried playing Far Cry 3 on my computer and it starts out all good and fine. Then it gets to the first chapter, and it starts lagging majorly. It would seem like its 5 fps when it starts lagging. My graphics card is Pretty good i guess, its kinda out dated. It runs 2 monitors perfectly fine. Can you please tell me what i can do to make it not lag on far cry 3? I run most games 50fps without lag at all.

Solution
You tell us how much you can spend and importantly, what kind of power supply you have(Combined 12 volt current is important on multi-rail power supplies. It is not always just and add them up thing. many times it should be its own rating.).

Power supply rating example image.
psur.jpg

We can then see what you can get.

Those are RIDICULOUSLY easy games to max out. They're old and designed to have maximum compatibility - most WoW players, for example, are using integrated graphics on a prebuilt machine.

Far Cry 3 is the complete opposite - it was designed, from the start, to be a computer-meter, much like the original Crysis was. It fell short of that goal, but you still need a LOT more horsepower if you want to see playable framerates. And don't even think about ultra unless you drop $400 on a video card.

bigerman55

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

I know i can get it from newegg but i have no idea how to install the graphics card and i have a warranty on the computer so opening the computer 'voids' the warranty.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Btw that picture thats someone posted you should look on your psu and take a picture of that big sticker and show us what you got..Reason why i say dont get the gpu from dell because they will rip you off

bigerman55

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Got a tut on where to plug it in and where to unplug that previous graphics card?

Bear in mind a normal ATX power supply won't work in that case due to the form factor.

bigerman55

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Can you find me a step-by-step for beginners tutorial for swapping cards?

bignastyid

Titan

Unless Dell has radically changed their policy opening the system does not void the warranty. In fact opening the system is kinda a requirement to properly clean it. Upgrading the video card also will not void the warranty on the rest of the hardware unless the damage is caused by the customer during the upgrade or the 3rd party part causes the damage. Atleast that used to be the policy, Its been awhile since I have dealt with them on a desktop.

bigerman55

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

I have a 300v psu. and the dell reps checked to see if fits already.

bignastyid

Titan
Dells Specs show a 250w PSU shipped with the inspiron 580s(slimeline chassis) the inspiron 580(mini tower chassis) has a 300w(not 300v btw). If you want to verify simply open the side and look at the side of the PSU. Also a Dell 300w PSU still isnt enough to run a 7770.
580 specs
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-580_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf
580s specs
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-580s_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Aug 13, 2012
We need more information man, we want to help you but you seem really worried about voiding warranty or something. [strike]We need to know if you have a SLIM or the NORMAL version of the Dell PC[/strike]. After we know that we need to know what specs your power supply is. Open up your PC and there should be cables coming from one "box" thing, there should be a label on it somewhere, look for something that says 12V and tell us how many Amps are on it. Example 12v 35A

Status
Not open for further replies.