Far Cry 3 Low FPS

richie021501

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
I have a 1080ti and an i7 5820k and am getting low FPS in Far Cry 3. Whether Im using maxed out settings or lowest possible settings, the fps barely changes. I'm getting 40-50 FPS in some areas when I would think the game should be in the triple digits. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? I'm not sure if its a CPU or GPU issue. I've also tried turning down postfx but it didn't seem to do anything either.

Thanks

Solution
Try doing a clean install of your drivers. It has happened to me right after firing up a new game before, I think it has something to do with GeForce Experience. But use DDU and clean your system then reinstall GeForce Exp. and install the latest drivers. That's a long shot but I can't think of anything else other than messing with the software settings.

Check your per-core usage also with that game. Unfortunately for you if it is just crap optimization, I am at a huge advantage over you with my processor. My single core speed is roughly 35% faster than yours (assuming you are at stock) and if it is just poor optimization its a CPU-bottleneck. That is where hex-core CPU's lose their appeal, low clock speeds for older/unoptimized games...

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
That happened to me, FC3 just sucks as far as optimization goes. I can't remember exactly what I did to make mine run well but its one of the stupid advanced settings I think. Check Nvidia CP settings and if you have G-sync. Disable buffering and V-sync in game. If anything just turn on V-Sync in NCP and leave it off in the game. It was some stupid $hite like that that fixed it for me. Can't remember exactly what did it for me but try turning off some of those stupid advanced settings that don't really look like they do anything. Try changing the Graphics API as well. I can't remember if it was DX11 or DX9 or something, but try that, I think that made some difference for me. Still hover around 100-90fps on Ultra.

BTW I have a 1080 Ti and a 6700K @4.7GHz. FC3 is just a PoS game.

richie021501

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I've tried all of those suggestions. I've tried turning off/lowering all in game settings, turning on DX9. It has very little impact on my FPS (I see maybe a 3 or so FPS increase).

If anyone else has any other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Try doing a clean install of your drivers. It has happened to me right after firing up a new game before, I think it has something to do with GeForce Experience. But use DDU and clean your system then reinstall GeForce Exp. and install the latest drivers. That's a long shot but I can't think of anything else other than messing with the software settings.

Check your per-core usage also with that game. Unfortunately for you if it is just crap optimization, I am at a huge advantage over you with my processor. My single core speed is roughly 35% faster than yours (assuming you are at stock) and if it is just poor optimization its a CPU-bottleneck. That is where hex-core CPU's lose their appeal, low clock speeds for older/unoptimized games = doodoo performance.

So if that is the case your fps would be right around where it is.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS