FAR CRY ing out loud - reality check, Part II

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Because the VGA cards have to do with games and since the original Far Cry review posted here was a popular thread I am posting a follow-up in this forum.

I own a copy of Far Cry and I do not regret buying it. However, those on a tight budget should pause before spending money on this game.

As I predicted in one of the previous posts, Computer Gaming World (CGW) magazine ended up giving Far Cry 3.5 stars. This means that overall the game is below average. This does not mean that Far Cry has no good points but it does mean that you can probably get more fun for your money if you buy something else. In my opinion CGW reviews can be trusted because of all the computer gaming magazines I have subscribed to over the last 10+ years this one almost never published a review I disagreed with. Heh, they should probably hire me since I wrote the same review as they two weeks earlier than they did :lol:

Here are a few quotes from the latest issue of CGW regarding Far Cry.

“There is a good, maybe outstanding, game lurking under all the frustration. Good luck getting to it.”

“To play Far Cry is to be in a state of constant vigilance. Regrettably, some of that vigilance is due to the game apparently cheating.”

“With or without the Jeep, the last levels are a nightmare.”

“This is a game you’ll love one minute and want to drop in a chemical toilet the next.”

And my favorite:

“Kudos to Far Cry developer Crytek for placing this first-person shooter in a tropical paradise instead of the usual dystopian hellscape. Let’s hear it for A.I. that is, for the most part, actually intelligent. Hooray for the incredible game engine with its lush graphics and seemingly endless draw distances. Congrats on the frantic firefights, the nice variety of vehicles, and a number of open-ended environments that allow you to tackle the tactical challenges of the game in a number of ways. Oh, and one more thing – howsabout a nice whack upside the head with a tire iron for a horrific save-game feature that is simultaneously terribly conceived and idiotically implemented? On second thought, how about <font color=red>several</font color=red> whacks upside the head for that one?”

If you want details, read my previous post found here:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=395448#395448" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=395448#395448</A>

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 05/03/04 09:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
ROFL. I bet that strokes your ego a bit knowing that they nearly quoted you verbatim!

The game is pretty, but I actually got kinda bored with it very soon. It's not fun to have to repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.

Maybe that's just me though.

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
why don't you STFU... no one likes YOU!!

right? right? right?

seriously man, stop bashing the freaking game, if u don't like it, suck it up. Far Cry fans (like me) is gonna go after your ass soon.

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

dhlucke

Polypheme
Squirrel what are you doing? Go get me a beer and shhh.

<font color=red>_______________________________________________</font color=red>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
i'll give u a beer if he shuts up. Until then, u get no beer!! and i'm cutting ur backup supply as well!!

PS- dont even think about the secret stash. I locked it up already

dhlucke

Polypheme
hmph

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Far Cry fans (like me) is gonna go after your ass soon.
That’s not a bad idea :lol: . Bash the messenger! Let’s keep this post at the top of the page :lol: :lol:

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I'm with dhlucke! I love Far Cry!

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
After reading your review, I have installed also Chrome. What can I say, I was pretty disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it might be a nice game, but it fades when put side-by-side with FarCry. I only played for a little bit, but here are my impressions:
First of all, HEAVILY scripted. I hate that. I want to be able to stray from the path they had in mind when designing the level. I want to take the alternate route. Unlike FarCry, where you can take your time and explore nearby islands (non-essential for the completion of the objective), here you have to stick to following to the letter the indications you receive or the path layed before you. Otherwise, things may (not) happen.
Second: the graphics you praise so much. I don't see how you can even compare Chrome with FarCry from this point of view. True, you have also in Chrome some grass waving in the wind, some trees etc, but the entire landscape looks ... cartoonish.
Third, the AI. I was happily sniping at an enemy convoy not-so-far away, and only on one occasion some guy bothered to shoot back at me. Try this in FarCry.

I think I will continue to play Chrome, it looks like a nice game... but ONLY after I finish FarCry (and a couple of other games). As I said before, I do not claim that FarCry is the perfect game. It's just not the crappy game you described. In fact, in my opinion, it's one of the best things that happened to the gaming world lately. I know I'm being subjective here, but if HL2, Doom ]|[ or STALKER are not released this year (which might happen, considering how things are going), we could be looking at the FPS of the year here.

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
here you have to stick to following to the letter the indications you receive or the path layed before you. Otherwise, things may (not) happen.
You are actually mistaken. The first couple of missions in Chrome are, indeed, easy and A.I. behavior is relaxed. Consider them training missions. If you continue playing the game you will see more of a Far Cry style A.I. behavior. Once you are about 30% into the game the missions become very interesting and exciting and maps grow much larger. Finally, in missions with multiple objectives you often can achieve them in any order and you can approach the locations from many different directions, pretty much like in Far Cry. Just beware of ambushes.

<font color=red>EDIT:</font color=red>Oh, and unlike in Far Cry if the enemies do not have a direct line of sight on you (if you hit the deck and hide in the 3-foot tall grass) they will not shoot you through all the cover as they do in Far Cry. Instead, they will try to find you and when they do YOU CAN SEE THEM TOO! (unlike in Far Cry.)

Speaking about graphics, density of the vegetation is the only major thing that is different between Far Cry and Chrome. If Chrome’s vegetation were as dense as Far Cry you would be hard-pressed to say that Far Cry looks better and that’s the only point about Chrome’s graphics that I was making. Actually, in the second half of the game there are a couple of immensely cool missions set in dense forests a-la Far Cry. Way cool Trust me. Finish Chrome and post a follow up to your original opinion. Oh, and if you find Chrome’s AI not particularly challenging, up the game difficulty.

Important hint: Once all implants become available do use them, especially infrared vision on stealth missions, otherwise stealth missions may feel like a nightmare a-la Far Cry where you have to reload a million times. Fortunately, in Chrome you can quick-save anywhere and you can quick-load from ANY menu, submenu or death screen . . .

I think I will continue to play Chrome, it looks like a nice game...
You will not regret it.

(re Far Cry) It's just not the crappy game you described.
I understand how people may disagree on this with a no-name poster but I think people should have some respect for the oldest and the most objective PC game reviewers, such as Computer Gaming world. In this thread I merely quoted them and everything they say is right on.

if HL2, Doom ]|[ or STALKER are not released this year (which might happen
Yes, I am eagerly awaiting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It will be an incredible game if I know anything about originality and creativity of Ukrainians.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 05/05/04 11:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
It is true, I only played Chrome a little bit, and those were just the "hands-on" impressions. About the difficulty, I usually play on the "normal" difficulty (I consider it to be the setting the game authors had in mind when designed the game)

Oh, and unlike in Far Cry if the enemies do not have a direct line of sight on you (if you hit the deck and hide in the 3-foot tall grass) they will not shoot you through all the cover as they do in Far Cry. Instead, they will try to find you and when they do YOU CAN SEE THEM TOO! (unlike in Far Cry.)
Also in FarCry, if you relocate, they often loose track, and begin looking for you. They won't just shoot madly at you, unless they spot you. In real life, I would do the same thing, shooting blindly to the enemy's last known position, even if I cannot exactly see him. In modern war, if you had a good look at your enemy, you might already be dead in the next second :wink: . Anyway, I must agree that the Far Cry baddies have the eyes and ears of a cat :smile: .

I understand how people may disagree on this with a no-name poster but I think people should have some respect for the oldest and the most objective PC game reviewers, such as Computer Gaming world. In this thread I merely quoted them and everything they say is right on
I do not agree to someone else just because of his name/reputation. I must be of the same opinion before agreeing. I like to believe that I'm able to think for myself. Taking suggestions, that's a completely different thing... Even from their review, their main complain seems to be the save system. Except for this, they seem to appreciate the game (I admit reading the review hastily)

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It will be an incredible game if I know anything about originality and creativity of Ukrainians.
Have you read the book? I mean "Roadside Picnic" by A&B Strugatki. The games takes its concepts from it. It's a great SF, and I can't wait to see it transposed in a good game. I regret never seeing the movie (russian old one, from the 60's I think)

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Bro, in a real war here’s what would happen (I’ve been in the Army by the way): You crawl through the grass and brush and you peek through them and, let’s say, you see the enemy, but the enemy cannot see you if you keep a low profile. A patrol boat would never be able to spot you from 200+ meters away when all of your body is hidden and only your nose and your right eye are “sticking out”. In Far Cry it works like this: as long as YOU cannot see $hit through the grass your stealth meter will often (but not always) stay empty. As soon as you inch your way into a position from which you might be able to actually visually assess the situation, your stealth meter begins to fill up and if, God forbid, you are in the binoculars mode looking East, you know what, there is a ROCKET coming for you already from the West and YOU DID NOT hear the launch from 200 meters away (nor did you ever hear the motor of the PT boat). Ever heard the term “incoming”? Well, 99% of the time even if you cannot hear the firing weapon you DO hear the approach of a heavy projectile. How may times in Far Cry did you realize that you are being machinegunned only when you suddenly died or almost died? Hey, I can understand that you may not hear a sniper shot from 1.5 miles away, but a gunner? Firing at you from 50-200 meters away? Give me a break! (unless they all use weapons with silencers). Finally, I agree that you may choose to waste precious ammo on shooting bushes and grass (sort of like Arnold and his team did in “Predator”), but it does not work like this. The amount of ammo is finite and you don’t waste it the way they do in Hollywood movies. Therefore, I find Chrome soldier A.I. more logical and realistic even though I must admit that their team work is not as polished as in Far Cry.

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool:

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
Bro, I've been in the army (and I am even an officer :wink: ). What you say makes and does not make sense. I agree that not everything in the game is accurately modeled, but some things are understandable. The patrol boat usually will <b>not</b> spot you if you stay hidden and don't fire. I often stood almost on the riverside, in bushes, with patrol boats buzzing near. Most of the time, they have reacted <b>after</b> I opened fire, not before.
I don't know why you are not able to hear the rockets. Yes, I do not hear the launch detonation, but if you listen you can hear the rocket aproaching. I count more on hearing the rockets and quickly moving away from where I am standing, than seeing the rocket (provided you are not facing the shooter). About the machinegun fire, you probably realize that most bullets travel at supersonic speed. This means that <b>first</b> you die, and <b>after that</b> you hear ( :wink: ) the bullet. The inconvenient is that usually you are having problems hearing things when you are dead :lol:
Leaving this aside, I think you have a problem with the in-game sounds, because I am able to hear the sounds you are talking about (I am using some Sony headphones when playing games, I do not use speakers)

In real life, the amount of ammo is finite indeed, but when someone is shooting at you, you tend to forget about conserving your ammo... you can't do anything with it if you're dead. So first, you start shooting the guy, and after you get rid of him, you start worrying about the ammo. It's no FPS, you can't reload a savegame.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
If you had more to discuss about this, you should have just added it to the other stupid post you had. Now we have two stupid post's about the same thing...
Spammer.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Yes. There is nothing else I know about. Bashing Far Cry is the calling of my heart.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Noble.

pauldh

Illustrious
So you are a self proclaimed FCB (Far Cry Basher). Are you seeking help dealing with that? :tongue:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
This means that first you die, and after that you hear
I have a counterargument for most of your counterarguments :eek:)

About the machinegun fire, you probably realize that most bullets travel at supersonic speed. This means that first you die, and after that you hear
You kidding. Right? When you are still alive 2 seconds after being shot at you GOTTA hear where the sound is coming from......

HB is right though. There is no good reason to keep arguing about this.

Also, speaking about HB and others... WHY would you even read the thread if you are not interested?

WHAT is wrong with someone talking at length about a topic of interest to him? You don't care? Go read another thread, for God's sake.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Quit posting this crap and we wont complain.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Why? He put time into it and expressed his opinion under fire. Give him some credit.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Lol...the dude bought Far Cry, and didnt like it, so he started a thread about it, complaining that it sucked. Most of us here like Far Cry, so his thread turned into an arguement. Cool. The fact that he started <b>another</b> thread, to only continue complaining that Far Cry sucked, tells me that the guy is only looking to argue further, and is an attention whore.
I'll leave it at that.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
This is gonna sound really stupid, but what's exactly wrong with the savegame? I thought it was perfect, actully, better than any I've seen in a game. There's no cheating by saving before every foe and I just felt that when I die I really don't have to replay a lot. Also, there's a nice ballance between the "what the heck, game was just save, lets storm!" and "OMFG if I die now I'll have to go through half a level again!".
So, what's the prob there?
Also, I have no respect for people who compare Chrome with Farcry, or, more specifically, Chrome with any game that doesn't suck as bad.

Abit IS7 @ 275 FSB, OCZ PC4200 RAM @ 550Mhz, P4 2.4 @ 3.3Ghz Vcore @ 1.625, Sapphire Radeon 9800P @ 410/780.
Thermalright SLK-947U, P3 HS @ NB.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
i had enough of you u piece of you-know-what!
GW, Grape, WS, DH GET HIS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!
*leads the pack with a wooden pole*